ITA Study Material Vs. Exam

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

MelsGP
Rank 0
Rank 0

ITA Study Material Vs. Exam

Post by MelsGP »

For those of you who have written the ITA exam, how well do the review questions in the self study course translate into preparedness for the examination? I feel like the review questions are quite basic/easy and having a grasp on the material to do sufficiently well on these questions may be misleading in the knowledge required to actually do well on the exam.

Any insight?
---------- ADS -----------

SkyMik
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ITA Study Material Vs. Exam

Post by SkyMik »

I'd really appreciate some insight into this as well as the review questions seem to be quite easy compared to the amount of material there actually is.

I've also see a lot of the same review questions show up in the block assessments, written in the exact same phraseology, word-for-word. Is this to be expected on the actual exam as well?

Cheers!

MelsGP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MelsGP »

SkyMik wrote:I'd really appreciate some insight into this as well as the review questions seem to be quite easy compared to the amount of material there actually is.

I've also see a lot of the same review questions show up in the block assessments, written in the exact same phraseology, word-for-word. Is this to be expected on the actual exam as well?

Cheers!
Exactly. Not great for review when you remember the answer to the same question from the smaller chapter quizzes only because it is the same question regardless of understanding of the concepts.

antz318
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by antz318 »

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but does anyone have an answer to this question?

I would really like to know as well.

RunwayWindAltimer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RunwayWindAltimer »

IIRC it was very straightforward, no trick questions or convoluted wording. Know the ITA inside out, to the point where if you are being quizzed on the practice questions you know the answer 4 words into the question, and you will be fine. On my course I think pretty well everyone had 90% or so on the ITA.

Definitely don't disadvantage yourself by using up a re-write on the easiest exam in the course.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Also don't forget that you will give yourself a bit of a bad rep if you fail the ITA exam. It is the easiest and you just need to know your stuff. Nothing tricky.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Like other posters have said, study over and over the ITA material until you know it inside out. You'll then find the ITA exam not difficult at all.
You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and so want to get a pass mark in the mid to high 90s%. You absolutely don't want to be known as the trainee that had to re-write. Rightly or wrongly, almost everyone in the unit will be interested in how the new trainees did on the exam, and will know who passed well, and who didn't. Make sure you're known as one of the ones who's studied hard and got a great mark.

MelsGP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by MelsGP »

Thank you for the responses!

Do you recall if the exam was MC like the practice questions on the course?

TheSteamingPile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSteamingPile »

MelsGP wrote:Thank you for the responses!

Do you recall if the exam was MC like the practice questions on the course?
From everything I've read it's a multiple choice/true false exam.

I haven't written it yet (coming up in mid-sept) but I always figured that if you knew the material it won't matter how the questions are phrased. Study hard everyone!

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

A lot of it is multiple choice or fill in the blank one word answers.

marvin34
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marvin34 »

The exam used to be multiple choice/true false, but not anymore. The ITA for IFR and VFR courses has a lot of fill in the blanks, some MANOPS definitions, long answer and an array of other types of exam questions with a few MC and T/F thrown in. Know your stuff, know it well, memorize all, yes all of the aircraft identifiers etc. verbatim forwards and backwards, memorize the MANOPS. Sounds daunting, but it's what you have to do, and what you will be doing for the next while in training for the other exams.

Cheers2813
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheers2813 »

marvin34 wrote:The exam used to be multiple choice/true false, but not anymore. The ITA for IFR and VFR courses has a lot of fill in the blanks, some MANOPS definitions, long answer and an array of other types of exam questions with a few MC and T/F thrown in. Know your stuff, know it well, memorize all, yes all of the aircraft identifiers etc. verbatim forwards and backwards, memorize the MANOPS. Sounds daunting, but it's what you have to do, and what you will be doing for the next while in training for the other exams.
I'm not sure when/what exam you wrote, but I wrote for IFR in September and this is wrong. The exam had the same style of questions that was in the practice material, only huge number of them.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”