Aircraft landing without other aircraft down and clear.

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Aircraft landing without other aircraft down and clear.

Post by pianokeys »

W0XOF wrote:To keep this on topic, these procedures prevent aircraft landing without another aircraft occupying the same runway. If it were to happen, an AOR will be filled and an investigation will happen. The FSS will be held to account. As a pilot, you don't have to listen, but if you don't and a conflict arises or doesn't resolve, TC will hold you to account. There's a whole manual of operations outlining these responsibilities and procedures to resolve conflicts.
+1

Why the hell would anyone think its okay to land on a runway when there is still traffic on it? Go around. Simple thing. Go around. Yeah it adds .1-.2 to the Hobbs if you're paying, and if you're getting paid, well, go arounds pay more.

At the end of the day, regardless of airspace and who is controlling or directing on the other microphone, the ultimate responsibility to see and avoid is with the PIC. This is a basic PPL exam question too.
---------- ADS -----------

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

crazyaviator wrote:If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it fall, does it make a sound (broadcast) ? :lol:
Apparently only if it's not an MF
:)

What a strange discussion this thread has wandered into...

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

Y'all would piddle yourselves at Oshkosh :lol:

Just use judgement.

HiFlyChick
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by HiFlyChick »

SuperchargedRS wrote:Y'all would piddle yourselves at Oshkosh :lol:

Just use judgement.
Truthfully, that's the reason why I would have no desire to fly in to Oshkosh. If I was closer I'd like to go, but not to be airborne in that traffic jam...

Oooooo me nerves!

crazyaviator
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by crazyaviator »

One year I went to OSH in a C-172 with 3 pax,,, Real busy on base for 33 left and then a mid-air happened between 2 small A/C ,,, Well, no more control and everyone went to the button of 33L and 33R ( taxiway) instead of 3 at a time on both and the speeds got real slow The taildragger ahead of us nearly lost it on landing due to speed and vortices, enough of that and we did a go around, missing traffic taking off of the east-west runway,, ,Exciting times!

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

I've flown over 2 years at an FSS based airport of which I've probably spent over 1000 hours within the control zone. FSS most certainly assists traffic in maintaining an orderly flow and will sometimes give suggestions/recommendations which are at the pilots discretion. Most Pilots take the advice and it might take an extra few minutes but it keeps everyone involved safe. But like I mentioned, the pilot has discretion as to which ones he/she will use and there might be the odd "Superior" Pilot who would rather use Superior skill and make things harder for others. I'll admit honestly that I've been on the giving and receiving end of things.

The OP hasn't clarified if it was an ATF, an MF or TC's confusingly worded Uncontrolled airport within a control zone (or FSS based airport for us common folk pilots). It did sound based on the explanation that it was an FSS. Either way, at the end of the day in all three of these cases the pilot landing downwind (with over 20 kts of winds nevertheless) is at fault and if the OP felt that it was unsafe then they should report it to the FSS if applicable with appropriate time and tail markings if available or if they think nothing will come of it, then maybe call TC and report it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in this case if the pilot (OP) asks the FSS to write it down as a close call then the FSS is legally obligated to do so and let TC enforcement deal with it.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”