AVCANADA

It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:45 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it fall, does it make a sound (broadcast) ? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

DON'T FEED THE TROLL :smt018 :smt021 :smt076

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:43 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Last edited by Rookie50 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:25 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

The difference Rookie is that I talk on the radio for a living and take it seriously. When I pointed out your use of the word broadcast, all you had to say was that you didn't mean to use it in that context. Instead, you got mad and felt sorry for yourself and then blamed me for your ignorance. Understandable if you were 10yrs old. If you're going to post in a forum you better know what your talking about or act like an adult when you realize you were wrong.

How was I supposed to know you didn't know what you were talking about. Nice tantrum.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:30 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

The term broadcast may not have importance or meaning to some of you but it certainly means something to ATS. This is the ATS Forum after all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:40 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Last edited by Rookie50 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:45 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

You're embarrassing yourself.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:05 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Last edited by Rookie50 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:06 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Last edited by Rookie50 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:53 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

When an AM/FM radio station "broadcasts a message or music, it is casting its message/music to a broad area and many listeners Hence BROAD- CAST
In aviation, you BROAD-CAST your intentions to NO ONE in particular, therefore it is NOT meant to be a 1 to 1 conversation with FSS or Tower.
Rookie, Grow up :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:00 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

W0XOF wrote:
To keep this on topic, these procedures prevent aircraft landing without another aircraft occupying the same runway. If it were to happen, an AOR will be filled and an investigation will happen. The FSS will be held to account. As a pilot, you don't have to listen, but if you don't and a conflict arises or doesn't resolve, TC will hold you to account. There's a whole manual of operations outlining these responsibilities and procedures to resolve conflicts.

+1

Why the hell would anyone think its okay to land on a runway when there is still traffic on it? Go around. Simple thing. Go around. Yeah it adds .1-.2 to the Hobbs if you're paying, and if you're getting paid, well, go arounds pay more.

At the end of the day, regardless of airspace and who is controlling or directing on the other microphone, the ultimate responsibility to see and avoid is with the PIC. This is a basic PPL exam question too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:45 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

crazyaviator wrote:
If a tree falls in the forest and there is no one to hear it fall, does it make a sound (broadcast) ? :lol:

Apparently only if it's not an MF
:)

What a strange discussion this thread has wandered into...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:26 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Y'all would piddle yourselves at Oshkosh :lol:

Just use judgement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:55 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

SuperchargedRS wrote:
Y'all would piddle yourselves at Oshkosh :lol:

Just use judgement.

Truthfully, that's the reason why I would have no desire to fly in to Oshkosh. If I was closer I'd like to go, but not to be airborne in that traffic jam...

Oooooo me nerves!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:03 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

One year I went to OSH in a C-172 with 3 pax,,, Real busy on base for 33 left and then a mid-air happened between 2 small A/C ,,, Well, no more control and everyone went to the button of 33L and 33R ( taxiway) instead of 3 at a time on both and the speeds got real slow The taildragger ahead of us nearly lost it on landing due to speed and vortices, enough of that and we did a go around, missing traffic taking off of the east-west runway,, ,Exciting times!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:52 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I've flown over 2 years at an FSS based airport of which I've probably spent over 1000 hours within the control zone. FSS most certainly assists traffic in maintaining an orderly flow and will sometimes give suggestions/recommendations which are at the pilots discretion. Most Pilots take the advice and it might take an extra few minutes but it keeps everyone involved safe. But like I mentioned, the pilot has discretion as to which ones he/she will use and there might be the odd "Superior" Pilot who would rather use Superior skill and make things harder for others. I'll admit honestly that I've been on the giving and receiving end of things.

The OP hasn't clarified if it was an ATF, an MF or TC's confusingly worded Uncontrolled airport within a control zone (or FSS based airport for us common folk pilots). It did sound based on the explanation that it was an FSS. Either way, at the end of the day in all three of these cases the pilot landing downwind (with over 20 kts of winds nevertheless) is at fault and if the OP felt that it was unsafe then they should report it to the FSS if applicable with appropriate time and tail markings if available or if they think nothing will come of it, then maybe call TC and report it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in this case if the pilot (OP) asks the FSS to write it down as a close call then the FSS is legally obligated to do so and let TC enforcement deal with it.