Flow control delays.

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Flow control delays.

Post by Rookie50 »

Flew commerical last night from MIA-YYZ (as a pax). Pushed back from the gate, Tug unhooked, think ramp control cleared our plane to taxi, then we stopped and so did every other departure.

Capt came on and said was a flow control issue. Must sat 20-30 min. (Every plane, line in front of us). Planes were landing. Perfect WX (and I assume YYZ was good).

Then everyone got released and they shot us all off, one after the other.

Curious what that was. No one could get their release?
---------- ADS -----------

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Flow control delays.

Post by chipmunk »

Sometimes it's delays with enroute (airborne) ATC - Cleveland, etc.

There's a free app called ATC Delays (for iPhone) that will show you current delays and (sometimes vague!) reasons for them - I can't recall if the enroute delays show up there or not, however, but definitely all airport related ones. Sometimes even if the weather looks reasonable, there will be delays due to a wind direction change causing a runway change, lower IFR weather causing more spacing to be required, wind shear reports, etc.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

chipmunk wrote:Sometimes it's delays with enroute (airborne) ATC - Cleveland, etc.

There's a free app called ATC Delays (for iPhone) that will show you current delays and (sometimes vague!) reasons for them - I can't recall if the enroute delays show up there or not, however, but definitely all airport related ones. Sometimes even if the weather looks reasonable, there will be delays due to a wind direction change causing a runway change, lower IFR weather causing more spacing to be required, wind shear reports, etc.
Guessing it was weather in the northeast but not YYZ slowing it all down? Dont think it was bad though up there.

Never seen that before. Like a ground stop, absolutely no departures (I could see) but weather was SKC and light winds in MIA and around it. Maybe a glitch somewhere, was just curious. Captain said everyone was halted, on the taxiways. Sounds like it was a surprise to him.

I almost thought it must have been an accident on the field before he said something, but planes kept landing, just no takeoffs.

I'll get the app more things to do while waiting somewhere with time to waste....

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

What time was it when you were sitting in Miami? Late afternoon, say around 5 or so? The Daytona 500 finished around that time and there would have been a lot of departures out of Daytona at that time. That is Jacksonville Center's airspace and they could have issued a ground stop for all northbound departures coming from Miami Center's airspace while all those planes were leaving to reduce the chaos. Then once the Daytona departures subsided, they cancelled the ground stop and that's why everyone in Miami started leaving. Just a guess.

Have Pratts - Will Travel
Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

Pratt X 3 wrote:What time was it when you were sitting in Miami? Late afternoon, say around 5 or so? The Daytona 500 finished around that time and there would have been a lot of departures out of Daytona at that time. That is Jacksonville Center's airspace and they could have issued a ground stop for all northbound departures coming from Miami Center's airspace while all those planes were leaving to reduce the chaos. Then once the Daytona departures subsided, they cancelled the ground stop and that's why everyone in Miami started leaving. Just a guess.

Much later, about 20:30 --

Makes sense. Maybe all those planes had dinner first. :mrgreen:

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

Nope, Daytona was a ghost town by 7pm. Only Denny Hamlin, the race winner, was left. Everyone else had bugged out after the race finished just before 5pm. So I don't think that was the reason for the ground stop.

Have Pratts - Will Travel
1000islander
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1000islander »

Possibly something like a military area went hot [offshore area restriction] or activity at Cape Canaveral. I have had departures out of MCO delayed due sequencing for northbound traffic from the south...very high density, lots of airports, lots of traffic.

Rookie50
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rookie50 »

1000islander wrote:Possibly something like a military area went hot [offshore area restriction] or activity at Cape Canaveral. I have had departures out of MCO delayed due sequencing for northbound traffic from the south...very high density, lots of airports, lots of traffic.
Having flown there three times in my 182, you are so right about that. Busy, busy, re routes, Ect........

Return to “ATS Question Forum”