Saying passing altitude

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Saying passing altitude

Post by nightbird »

Should you say your passing altitude every time you check in with a new controller? I usually just say it checking in with departure and with the next hand offs only the altitude I'm clear to
Ex. "Xy center ABC climbing FL250"
Once in a while they ask me what is my passing altitude but is very rare.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Saying passing altitude

Post by photofly »

I understood you should always report your current altitude (therefore, if climbing or descending, your passing altitude) so the controller can verify for themselves that your mode C reporting is within the required tolerance to rely on it for deconfliction purposes.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Changes in Latitudes
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Changes in Latitudes »

photofly wrote:I understood you should always report your current altitude (therefore, if climbing or descending, your passing altitude) so the controller can verify for themselves that your mode C reporting is within the required tolerance to rely on it for deconfliction purposes.
Ditto.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

My understanding is as long as the altitude is verified by one controller, the altitude verification is passed to the next just like radar identification is (which is why you don't have to squawk ident with each handoff). Thus it shouldn't be necessary, but I will defer to an actual IFR controller.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I usually do if I'm climbing or descending. Just habit I suppose.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

A346Dude wrote:My understanding is as long as the altitude is verified by one controller, the altitude verification is passed to the next just like radar identification is (which is why you don't have to squawk ident with each handoff). Thus it shouldn't be necessary, but I will defer to an actual IFR controller.
That's what I thought and the reason I only say it checking in with the first guy until I get "you're radar identified". Hoping to get the input from some of the ATC guys here...

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

nightbird wrote:
A346Dude wrote:My understanding is as long as the altitude is verified by one controller, the altitude verification is passed to the next just like radar identification is (which is why you don't have to squawk ident with each handoff). Thus it shouldn't be necessary, but I will defer to an actual IFR controller.
That's what I thought and the reason I only say it checking in with the first guy until I get "you're radar identified". Hoping to get the input from some of the ATC guys here...
Exactly, the controller who radar identifies an aircraft has the responsibility of validation the altitude of that aircraft and once it is done on radar identification you don't need to do it again. You may hear a controller ask if he thinks something is odd but you don't HAVE to check in with your altitude once you are radar identified.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It also gives you a few extra syllables to say so the controller can key in to your voice/accent/intonation. Checking in with just a callsign sounds so 'wrong'.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

photofly wrote:It also gives you a few extra syllables to say so the controller can key in to your voice/accent/intonation. Checking in with just a callsign sounds so 'wrong'.
Yes and no. As an arrival controller I'd rather just know you are on my frequency as I don't care what altitude you are at because I can see it on my radar and I know your mode C is verified. If you absolutely want to give me an altitude give me your cleared altitude, at least that way I can catch it if someone made a mistake(either controller or pilot) but even then...I'm sure other controllers have their preferences but technically speaking you don't have to say your current altitude since it is already verified. I stand to be corrected though...

yeah yeah
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yeah yeah »

My unit (DXB approach) requires us to re-validate Mode C on initial contact, since our Area Control Centre feeding us works on a different radar system. We also check aircraft type on initial contact since some operators are famous at last minute equipment changes. PITA!

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

The vast majority of aircraft I see either check-in in level flight with their altitude or they check-in with their passing altitude and their cleared altitude. As has been stated, I can use the fact that the guy next to me (or the one next to him etc) has validated your altitude. I don't mind at all when a pilot gives me the info.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”