Communication clarity

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Communication clarity

Post by rspencer38 »

From time to time i'll listen into live traffic. I don't know if it is because i'm listening on-line, but I find it VERY difficult to understand anything people are saying. It's almost if the audio is muffled.

Not a comforting feeling haha
---------- ADS -----------

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Communication clarity

Post by Braun »

rspencer38 wrote:From time to time i'll listen into live traffic. I don't know if it is because i'm listening on-line, but I find it VERY difficult to understand anything people are saying. It's almost if the audio is muffled.

Not a comforting feeling haha
Do you mean in person or through liveatc?

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Liveatc

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

rspencer38 wrote:Liveatc
Yeah liveatc can suck sometimes as the feed is from antennas people plug in their backyard basically. Sometimes the reception sucks and you can only hear one side of the communications. Our ATC systems are very good sounding and much more clear. don't worry about it if you are going into training.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

Because the feeds are captured using scanners, you'll also notice quite often that the beginning of transmissions will be cut off. The scanner is triggered by the transmission, so if it is a short one, you might be missing part of it. For example, aircraft idents often get cut off - you might hear "da 123 instead of "Air Canada 123".

When you're actually plugged in, believe me, you'll hear everything nice and clear. Other than some controllers and pilots who mumble, of course :wink:

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Good to know! I was thinking I stand no chance at success if that's the quality haha

Return to “ATS Question Forum”