Squawk Ident

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Squawk Ident

Post by DanWEC »

Question for the controllers- some pilots respond to a squawk ident coming into controlled (IE Centre) with a confirmation and an altitude, which could be good practice.
Personally, I've always done the method by the book, no verbal response, just hit the ident, and then acknowledging after the controller confirms altitude (X-checking to yourself that it's accurate) and any subsequent instructions. (And obv. a "Squawk ident and say passing" garners a response.)

So from an ATC standpoint, do you prefer knowing the indicated alt right off the bat with the ident or not?

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Squawk Ident

Post by photofly »

DanWEC wrote: Personally, I've always done the method by the book, no verbal response, just hit the ident,
Can't speak for controllers' personal preferences, but "squawk ident" is an instruction, and all instructions from ATC require both compliance and an acknowledgement (602.31(1)(a)) so "no verbal response" isn't by the book, as far as I can see. By the book would be to respond at a minimum with your call sign, no?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

If you don't acknowledge the instruction to squawk ident, then there's no real way to confirm that the ident seen flashing on the screen is actually yours. You therefore should at a minimum include your ident with the acknowledgement to ident.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Photo- Do you respond to a "Standby" as well then? ;)

I've heard both ways on this, just looking for further clarification from ATC as to which is best, however multiple intrawebs searches come up with responses from controllers that state not to respond.

Thanks, RexKrammer. You're an IFR controller?

Broken Slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Broken Slinky »

I've always done DanWEC's "the monkey pushes the button" method. Never been or heard some scolded for not responding to the ident instruction. Curious if I should be responding though.

SuperchargedRS
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SuperchargedRS »

My ident is my response, never had ATC say anything

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

DanWEC wrote:Photo- Do you respond to a "Standby" as well then? ;)
Standby isn't an instruction, merely an indication the other party is busy. You can use "standby" as well to ATC, yet you are not giving them an instruction.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
hydro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by hydro »

I have no preference if you say "Identing", and/or "Passing through 5,700", or say nothing at all and just press the button. If you say the altitude, it saves me a couple words. If you don't, you save a couple words and I say the altitude.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

DanWEC wrote:Photo- Do you respond to a "Standby" as well then? ;)

I've heard both ways on this, just looking for further clarification from ATC as to which is best, however multiple intrawebs searches come up with responses from controllers that state not to respond.

Thanks, RexKrammer. You're an IFR controller?
I'm a VFR controller but do have to identify aircraft before providing traffic or other information to them derived from radar. (Or technically "surveillance" to fall in line with new terminology)

NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NAT2 »

I got slapped on the pee pee a few months ago from a controller for doing just that. I hit the ident when asked and then was asked to "acknowledge their transmission". I said "IDENT *** 293" but didn't hit the ident button again. Was the controller not hugged enough as a child?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

NAT2 wrote:I got slapped on the pee pee a few months ago from a controller for doing just that. I hit the ident when asked and then was asked to "acknowledge their transmission". I said "IDENT *** 293" but didn't hit the ident button again. Was the controller not hugged enough as a child?
Imagine that, a controller sticking to the rules and regulations. What an amateur!

NAT2
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by NAT2 »

digits_ wrote:
NAT2 wrote:I got slapped on the pee pee a few months ago from a controller for doing just that. I hit the ident when asked and then was asked to "acknowledge their transmission". I said "IDENT *** 293" but didn't hit the ident button again. Was the controller not hugged enough as a child?
Imagine that, a controller sticking to the rules and regulations. What an amateur!
:mrgreen:

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

hydro wrote:I have no preference if you say "Identing", and/or "Passing through 5,700", or say nothing at all and just press the button. If you say the altitude, it saves me a couple words. If you don't, you save a couple words and I say the altitude.
Thanks, Hydro, 6 of one and half dozen of the other essentially.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I don't understand why you'd get slapped for that. They ask you to IDENT, you hit the button. Either they got the IDENT on their scope, in which case you've clearly received their instruction and responded to it, or they didn't, in which case you can start talking again and try to determine whose equipment didn't work right.

CAR's require acknowledgement of instructions. They don't require verbal acknowledgement of instructions.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

AirFrame wrote:I don't understand why you'd get slapped for that. They ask you to IDENT, you hit the button. Either they got the IDENT on their scope, in which case you've clearly received their instruction and responded to it, or they didn't, in which case you can start talking again and try to determine whose equipment didn't work right.

CAR's require acknowledgement of instructions. They don't require verbal acknowledgement of instructions.
As an IFR controller this is the way I see it, I may be wrong. I never expect a verbal confirmation of an instruction to ident...I want the ident. I'm not sure of the "rules" for us in this case but I have never heard a controller chew out a pilot because of this. Anyways controllers should never chew out anyone on the freq anyways but that's another story.

Last edited by Braun on Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Braun wrote: As an IFR controlle this is the way I see it, I may be wrong. I never expect a verbal confirmation of an instruction to ident...I want the ident.
Thanks Braun, so no preference upon hearing the alt initially though? If not I'll just carry on as I have been.

Cheers

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

AirFrame wrote:CAR's require acknowledgement of instructions. They don't require verbal acknowledgement of instructions.
If you are instructed to climb, do you just climb or do you read back the instruction as well?

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

digits_ wrote:
AirFrame wrote:CAR's require acknowledgement of instructions. They don't require verbal acknowledgement of instructions.
If you are instructed to climb, do you just climb or do you read back the instruction as well?
The difference with climbing is that it takes a while for your altitude to actually change, whereas with ident it appears immediately (along with your callsign, I assume). So if the controllers already have your flashing callsign on their screen, what possible reason would there be to say anything?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

DanWEC wrote:
Braun wrote: As an IFR controlle this is the way I see it, I may be wrong. I never expect a verbal confirmation of an instruction to ident...I want the ident.
Thanks Braun, so no preference upon hearing the alt initially though? If not I'll just carry on as I have been.

Cheers
I'd definitely prefer to have the altitude, that way I don't have to ask you after. As to what is mandatory I don't know, it's one of those things that you do for so long a certain way that you sort of forget why.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

If we are going to quote CAR's we need to quote the whole paragraph

602.31 (1) Subject to subsection (3), the pilot-in command of an aircraft shall

(a) comply with and acknowledge, to the appropriate air traffic control unit, all of the air traffic control instructions directed to and received by the pilot-in-command; and

(b) comply with all of the air traffic control clearances received and accepted by the pilot-in-command and

(i) subject to subsection (2), in the case of an IFR flight, read back to the appropriate air traffic control unit the text of any air traffic control clearance received, and

(ii) in the case of a VFR flight, read back to the appropriate air traffic control unit the text of any air traffic control clearance received, when so requested by the air traffic control unit.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”