Contacting an MF/FSS

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Contacting an MF/FSS

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

I admit to not being that bright, but.
The way I read the CARS, an aircraft flying IFR is required to contact the FSS guys on the MF, PRIOR to commencing an approach.
An aircraft operating VFR is required to contact the FSS on the MF five minutes PRIOR to entering the zone?
My question is.....why does almost everybody call 40-60 miles out to announce their impending arrival to FSS (who knows they're coming, and even gives them as traffic) thereby interrupting all communications between FSS and aircraft in the zone, or manoeuvring on their ramp.
I always wait for the hand off from centre, of just before starting an approach to contact FSS.
Am I wrong?
Illya
---------- ADS -----------

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Contacting an MF/FSS

Post by 7ECA »

Just for shits and giggles, call up a random sampling of TC offices over a few different provinces, and ask to speak to an inspector. See how many different answers you can get, and then try and take an average of said answers. Surely you can't be wrong then, right? :rolleyes:

Seems like you are generally alright these days, right up until someone gets bent out of shape and reports you...

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

How I read it is at least 5 minutes prior and when you're grounding 300+ that's around the 40-60nm range

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

up on one wrote:How I read it is at least 5 minutes prior and when you're grounding 300+ that's around the 40-60nm range
300 kts = 5 miles per minute, or 25 back for the call

Calling 40 back means you should be grounding 480 kts

Calling 60 back means you should be grounding 720 kts

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

40nm/300nm=.1333*60=8
60nm/300nm=.2*60=12

So try the math again?

up on one
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by up on one »

Nevermind I see what you did there. What I am saying is I make the call prior to 5 minutes and sometimes depending on how busy it gets that could be around 8-10 minutes prior or 40-50 dme.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:I always wait for the hand off from centre, of just before starting an approach to contact FSS.

This technique can, and has, resulted in pilots getting violated. In my neck of the woods, after one company successfully defended themselves, Center will advise pilots to contact FSS prior to the approach clearance just to meet the legal requirement.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Donald wrote:
Illya Kuryakin wrote:I always wait for the hand off from centre, of just before starting an approach to contact FSS.

This technique can, and has, resulted in pilots getting violated. In my neck of the woods, after one company successfully defended themselves, Center will advise pilots to contact FSS prior to the approach clearance just to meet the legal requirement.
I've been doing this for a long time. I have NEVER had centre advise me to contact FSS prior to clearing us for an approach. Ever.
I will continue to contact them 5 minutes prior VFR and prior to commencing an approach when IFR.
Illya

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: I've been doing this for a long time. I have NEVER had centre advise me to contact FSS prior to clearing us for an approach. Ever.
I will continue to contact them 5 minutes prior VFR and prior to commencing an approach when IFR.
Illya
I too have never heard Winnipeg Centre advise it, but I have heard Toronto Centre many times remind myself and others to "don't forget your mandatory calls".

I am surprised that nobody has quoted the CARs reference yet, so here we go:
CARs 602.104 wrote:602.104 (1) This section applies to persons operating IFR aircraft when approaching or landing at an uncontrolled aerodrome, whether or not the aerodrome lies within an MF area.

(2) The pilot-in-command of an IFR aircraft who intends to conduct an approach to or a landing at an uncontrolled aerodrome shall report

(a) the pilot-in-command’s intentions regarding the operation of the aircraft

(i) five minutes before the estimated time of commencing the approach procedure, stating the estimated time of landing,

(ii) when commencing a circling manoeuvre, and

(iii) as soon as practicable after initiating a missed approach procedure; and

(b) the aircraft’s position

(i) when passing the fix outbound, where the pilot-in-command intends to conduct a procedure turn or, if no procedure turn is intended, when the aircraft first intercepts the final approach course,

(ii) when passing the final approach fix or three minutes before the estimated time of landing where no final approach fix exists, and

(iii) on final approach.
and so VFR doesn't feel left out:
CARs 602.101 wrote:602.101 The pilot-in-command of a VFR aircraft arriving at an uncontrolled aerodrome that lies within an MF area shall report

(a) before entering the MF area and, where circumstances permit, shall do so at least five minutes before entering the area, giving the aircraft’s position, altitude and estimated time of landing and the pilot-in-command’s arrival procedure intentions;

(b) when joining the aerodrome traffic circuit, giving the aircraft’s position in the circuit;

(c) when on the downwind leg, if applicable;

(d) when on final approach; and

(e) when clear of the surface on which the aircraft has landed.
So if you're shooting an approach from the 10 mile fix, roughly straight in from your inbound course, you need to call at least 5 minutes before crossing that fix. If you cover 25 miles in 5 minutes, that is about 35 miles back from the field. I usually make the call a little earlier, if there's a good moment, just in case things start getting busy 5 minutes out; or if I hear the man from U.N.C.L.E. on the radio, I will do it extra early just because I know it will piss him off, and let's face it, there are few things more entertaining than watching LG go red in the face.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

The gloves are off now! The MAN from U.N.C.L.E. will start making long and painfully slow recaps of his adventures, including estimated "wheels down" time, number of "nautical miles" at this time, currently back, and on which frequency he may be contacted for updates....you're for it now! LOL
Illya

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:
Donald wrote:

I've been doing this for a long time. I have NEVER had centre advise me to contact FSS prior to clearing us for an approach. Ever.
Illya
Do.....er Illya start flying on the other side of the big lake. Flying into YSB,YYB,YTS, they always tell you when you check in "Atis is at B, don't forget your calls". Also I don't speak for everyone, but at 15 minutes out, we get the Wx, call our counter to get loads for next leg, and then call Radio. Sometimes your not cleared the approach/handed over until your intercepting the ILS. If you didn't call certain places (YSB) before you were handed over, you'd most likely have a talking to. Also most of the FSS guys/gals always end in "thanks for the heads up." Yes they know we are coming, but knowing our plan when we get there probably helps with their planning for other IFR and VFR traffic. You continue your way, we (jv) will continue ours. :D

I guess I should write something here.
PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

If it's a relatively quiet MF (ie: YPL, YMO), sure, I could see doing the bare minimum calls. My thinking is that doing the bare minimum at a busy MF (ie: YXL, YTS) isn't a great idea, since, if you're waiting till 5.01 until calling, there's usually a good chance that at 5.20 someone with a minute-long conversation with FSS will chime in. And, if the FSS is having a bad day, there could be your violation, unless you're going to hold until you're talking to them to continue inbound. It's just easier to call 10-12 min out!

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Maynard wrote:Flying into YSB,YYB,YTS
Those are all in (class E) controlled airspace, so the above CAR doesn't apply (it specifically says "in uncontrolled airspace").

As I understand it, if the FSS+MF is in controlled airspace, you just need to talk to them when you're handed over (which will be before entering their CZ). It might obviously make sense to call earlier if it's a sunny day with lots of traffic so you can fit yourself into the traffic flow, but isn't required by law.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

CpnCrunch wrote:
Those are all in (class E) controlled airspace, so the above CAR doesn't apply (it specifically says "in uncontrolled airspace").

As I understand it, if the FSS+MF is in controlled airspace, you just need to talk to them when you're handed over (which will be before entering their CZ). It might obviously make sense to call earlier if it's a sunny day with lots of traffic so you can fit yourself into the traffic flow, but isn't required by law.
CpnCrunch wrote:

CARs say Uncontrolled Aerodrome. Different from Uncontrolled Airspace. Any class E CZ is controlled airspace but uncontrolled aerodrome...

Going for the deck at corner
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

AuxBatOn wrote:
CpnCrunch wrote:

CpnCrunch wrote:

CARs say Uncontrolled Aerodrome. Different from Uncontrolled Airspace. Any class E CZ is controlled airspace but uncontrolled aerodrome...
That concept is very hard for a lot of people to understand for some reason.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

AuxBatOn wrote: CARs say Uncontrolled Aerodrome. Different from Uncontrolled Airspace. Any class E CZ is controlled airspace but uncontrolled aerodrome...
Thanks, I've just re-read the CARS, and you're right.

It does, however, seem to be standard practice at many MF FSS airports to not call them until handed over, and every single IFR instructor/examiner that I've come across expects/teaches you to *not* call the FSS before handover. (I do hear FSS sometimes report IFR traffic just outside the circuit who "haven't contacted us yet", but they never seem to get told off for it).

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

Can any FSS chime in on this? My understanding is they get a point out from the Center on all inbound IFRs with the ETA and planned approach, well before the handoff. So I don't understand what purpose a call from the pilot would serve.

Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Illya Kuryakin wrote:I admit to not being that bright, but.
The way I read the CARS, an aircraft flying IFR is required to contact the FSS guys on the MF, PRIOR to commencing an approach.
An aircraft operating VFR is required to contact the FSS on the MF five minutes PRIOR to entering the zone?
My question is.....why does almost everybody call 40-60 miles out to announce their impending arrival to FSS (who knows they're coming, and even gives them as traffic) thereby interrupting all communications between FSS and aircraft in the zone, or manoeuvring on their ramp.
I always wait for the hand off from centre, of just before starting an approach to contact FSS.
Am I wrong?
Illya
I give a call 15 minutes out from landing when IFR, a quick "we're here, we're coming in X min, talk to you in the switch." As for VFR... some days I call 15 out, some days I call 10 out.. it depends on my mood.

Last edited by Saxub on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saxub
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Saxub »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: I always wait for the hand off from centre, of just before starting an approach to contact FSS.

Well next time Kenora yells at you if you don't call 5 min prior to commencing the approach because center hands you off after already crossing the t-fix, we'll see if your opinion changes.

Last edited by Saxub on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

I know people that got their IFR ticket suspended for not doing the 5 mins calls. Save yourself some heartache and give them a quick call 5 minutes before the approach. It doesn't really cost you anything, it keeps everybody happy but more importantly, keeps everybody informed on your intentions.

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “ATS Question Forum”