Chances of being placed on course from standby.

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Brettss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Chances of being placed on course from standby.

Post by Brettss »

Hi, I'm on standby for the upcoming YVR VFR course. I know it is obviously dependent on each individual course, but I was just wondering if anyone on standby within the past couple of course intakes was given a seat. Also, to all those who have gone through training, how many people dropped within the first couple weeks/ how many people were standbys before the course started and then got a spot for some reason or another?

To those who have been on standby but didnt get onto their course, how common does it seem to be for people to get a future course before timing out, after being on standby for an earlier course.

I did my final interview fairly late, in the middle of July, and the course starts on Sept. 26, so I'm wondering if it might have been already fully loaded, and they just placed me on standby for good measure, or if I just barely passed the interview and I would have been standby regardless.

So many questions :? thanks for your help.
---------- ADS -----------

belivo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Chances of being placed on course from standby.

Post by belivo »

I visited YQM center 2 weeks ago and the recruitment officer explained that often offers are given out very last minute since many people will accept but drop out last minute due to family financial obligations, or panic, or other various reasons. She explained that we could get offers very last minute for 2017 courses.

Any insight on the interview/testing process?

Brettss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Brettss »

belivo wrote:Any insight on the interview/testing process?
If you prepare it will be fine. The test was the most stressful for me, but you'll probably do better than you think. The interviews are actually fairly relaxed, or at least they were for me. Go ahead and ask if you have any particular questions!

TGSky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TGSky »

Brettss wrote:
belivo wrote:Any insight on the interview/testing process?
If you prepare it will be fine. The test was the most stressful for me, but you'll probably do better than you think. The interviews are actually fairly relaxed, or at least they were for me. Go ahead and ask if you have any particular questions!
I'll jump in if you don't mind. Regarding the in-person interview, what kinds of questions can be expected? Will they give you particular situations and ask how you would respond/react, or will it be like the phone interview where they ask you to give examples of previous situations you've been in?

Just trying to get a ball park idea of what to expect going in.

Thanks and good luck, I hope you get put on course soon!

Brettss
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Brettss »

TGSky wrote: I'll jump in if you don't mind. Regarding the in-person interview, what kinds of questions can be expected? Will they give you particular situations and ask how you would respond/react, or will it be like the phone interview where they ask you to give examples of previous situations you've been in?
There are only 5 questions, one of which is asking you to think back and recall one of the answers you gave on the phone interview. Dont worry about it, they only give you a check mark for that one and they basically force you to remember. I mixed mine up at first because I recalled the answer for a similar question first, and then the interviewer gave me hints until I remembered the correct answer.

As for the marked 4 questions, they are all very similar to ones you were asked on the phone interview, but usually have more components. They will basically ask you the what, when, why, and how of every question. One question will be about nav Canada as a company. It mostly seemed like they were trying to feel out how dedicated I would be, and if I knew how much effort was needed to succeed.

Study up on Nav Can and you will do just fine.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”