Use of French in Quebec FIR

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Use of French in Quebec FIR

Post by lilfssister »

I am in Europe right now, and visiting with some European ATC type people. The discussion came around to use of English in communications with the center here, and a question, which I am unable to answer, of what percentage of communications with Montreal ACC, terminal and tower are in English. Anybody have an answer-just a rough estimate?
---------- ADS -----------

cyeg66
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Use of French in Quebec FIR

Post by cyeg66 »

lilfssister wrote:I am in Europe right now, and visiting with some European ATC type people. The discussion came around to use of English in communications with the center here, and a question, which I am unable to answer, of what percentage of communications with Montreal ACC, terminal and tower are in English. Anybody have an answer-just a rough estimate?

40%F, 60%E, give or take a few.... There are always exceptional moments, though.

Turn right/left heading XXX, vectors for the hell of it.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Like CYEG said about 60/40 except VFR's which are probably closer to 70F/30E. Also different units would have very different stats on this just because the operators are so varied and the FIR is huge.

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Thanks, guys...this just came up again so I checked yur answers and will pass it on!
lil :

Return to “ATS Question Forum”