IFR- "Auto Over"

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

JonYTS
Rank 1
Rank 1

IFR- "Auto Over"

Post by JonYTS »

I have heard this term twice, while a controller's mic was stuck open, just before his sector was ready to split and have seen this on CBC Tv, during the visit to the Vancouver ACC, a data board strip that says "Auto over." I did a Google search and found a definition "ATC controller's radar performs an automatic hand off to adjacent sectors." Is this true?
---------- ADS -----------

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: IFR- "Auto Over"

Post by kevenv »

JonYTS wrote:I have heard this term twice, while a controller's mic was stuck open, just before his sector was ready to split and have seen this on CBC Tv, during the visit to the Vancouver ACC, a data board strip that says "Auto over." I did a Google search and found a definition "ATC controller's radar performs an automatic hand off to adjacent sectors." Is this true?
You are combining two different things.

Auto Over means that the tower is automatically taking control of the arriving aircraft from the center. There are a number of conditions that have to be met like weather and a/c location. Without the tower taking control, the ACC retains control of the IFR a/c until it lands (not necessarily talking to the a/c though).

We perform "electronic" system handoffs to the next sector within our ACC as well as to adjacent Canadian ACCs. We see an indication that the receiving controller, sector, ACC has accepted the a/c at which time the a/c is switched to their frequency.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “ATS Question Forum”