Career in ATS?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Career in ATS?

Post by Just another canuck »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Just another canuck on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
mjr2009
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Career in ATS?

Post by mjr2009 »

1) are jobs plentiful in the industry? Short answer, yes they are plentiful. Most flight information regions, if not all, are short in some capacity in regards to ATS. There are a combination of reasons for this, but remember it takes awhile to train up new AT controllers. Most also, usually do not make it through training.

2) location is more certain if you are selected for IFR control since IFR controllers work at the ACC centres. VFR controllers can go to any tower your FIR chooses you to go, but they do take your selection and situation into account. Since you are currently in Ontario you would apply to you current FIR then ask you application be switched to YWG FIR if you know you are going to YWG.

I don't understand your 3rd question. There is lots of info on this forum in terms of training. Phase 1 training for controllers starts off 30000$ and phase 2 and on is usually around 40000$. Once you are qualified your pay is drastically increased.

Regards
MJR

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
mjr2009
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mjr2009 »

Just another canuck wrote:Thanks. When you say most don't make it, is that because they fail the program or because they don't like it? I imagine a combination of both, but is the fail rate high?

Phase 1 and 2 last how long? Sorry, I'm sure this info is readily available. I'll do a search as well.

Thanks again.
Most don't make it due to failure. This is not to scare you though - some classes have much success and some classes do not. Most people selected really want to be there, but there will be some who choose this is not for them. As for training and phases - I highly recommend you go to the take charge NAV Canada website. They have good basic information about the different ATS streams. The length of the phases are dependent on what streams you are, FIR, sector etc...and a few other factors. The take charge website gives you an idea about the total length of training.

Feel free to PM me if you want more detailed answers and I can give you my email.

Regards
MJR

Return to “ATS Question Forum”