YVR IFR for May 2017

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mjr2009
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YVR IFR for May 2017

Post by mjr2009 »

I am asking because I got a stand by offer when you guys/girls did and was told that whoever got there background check and medicals in first would be selected first. Did they tell you how the stand by offers were given and how many received stand by offers? The waiting is killing me - it does seem that already 2 stand by offers have already been given seats? I guess that's encouraging.
---------- ADS -----------

controllercrazy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by controllercrazy »

mjr2009 wrote:I am asking because I got a stand by offer when you guys/girls did and was told that whoever got there background check and medicals in first would be selected first. Did they tell you how the stand by offers were given and how many received stand by offers?
I wasn't given the impression that it's a race to get all the admin work done first. I always thought you are ranked, even if you are on stand by.

As for number of offers... I'm sorry I don't know. They're tight lipped about these things!

I would think that if you are high enough to make an IFR course (even as a standby), you must be high enough for VFR. They are/will be loading for a July class - wasn't very clear when that will happen.

TFD
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by TFD »

When I was offered standby, there was definitely no mention of anything first come, first served. I was just told that I had to do the same steps as someone who was given a full offer so that I was ready in case a seat opened up, but the deadline was still the same as theirs. No mention of the number of people on standby either.

That being said, if they explicitly told you that you were in a first come, first served scenario, then don't go by what we were told. Just get the medical done and your admin paperwork mailed in as soon as possible... that won't hurt you either way.

Good luck!

mjr2009
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mjr2009 »

Well - whatever the case is I am on stand by - here's hoping for an offer - IFR or VFR. Still a awaiting game. I have my medical in just waiting for them to mail it back to me. Cheers

controllercrazy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by controllercrazy »

mjr2009 wrote:Well - whatever the case is I am on stand by - here's hoping for an offer - IFR or VFR. Still a awaiting game. I have my medical in just waiting for them to mail it back to me. Cheers
Yeah don't give up hope on IFR!

If you ranked high enough for an IFR class, you will probably be a confirmed seat for VFR when it happens. Seems to make sense in my mind (that's what I was waiting for anyway until this came through) - especially since they are/will be loading soon.

If you are VFR, you will definitely 100% the ITA!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”