Applying at NavCanada: Am I missing anything?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DeBH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Applying at NavCanada: Am I missing anything?

Post by DeBH »

Hey guys. After mulling over the idea of applying at NavCanada for a while now, I'm finally looking to pull the trigger. I'm interested in being an ATC. I've done a lot of reading, and I'm really excited about this possibility and opportunity.

Based on what I've read, I'm going to select either one of VFR, IFR, or FSS streams as a preference, but that's all tentative. I'm thinking of selecting VFR, for two reasons: I'd love to work at an airport tower, and it seems it's the position that allows most flexibility in terms of location and movement around the country in the future. Correct me if I'm wrong! And I don't mind moving from my origin spot, the GTA, by the way.

I know there's a lot of preparation and study to do aside from the fact that much of the process is based on aptitude. But should I even worry about any of that now? It seems I should just apply and take it one step at a time. On that note, aside from filling in personal and professional details on the online application, is there anything in particular I should know? The Take Charge site says I'll have to complete a small essay--anything in particular I should include besides an eloquent description of why I'd love to dive into the world of aviation and why I'm excited about the opportunity to make a career in the industry?

For the sake of keeping this as short as possible, I'll end here. I'd appreciate your feedback. I'm thinking of applying sometime this week, and if the first step is as easy as it sounds, I'm hoping to get that out of the way. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything :roll:

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

yycatchopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Applying at NavCanada: Am I missing anything?

Post by yycatchopeful »

To answer your first question.... just apply and worry about everything else later. What good would it do to worry about planning how you will handle training, a move, etc, if you don't even make it past the assessment tests? You can't do much to prepare for those except come into the session well rested, fed, and calm. Just apply and get the first step over with. Good luck! :-)

DeBH
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Applying at NavCanada: Am I missing anything?

Post by DeBH »

Awesome... Thanks!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”