How long does the background check usually take?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tam204
Rank 0
Rank 0

How long does the background check usually take?

Post by tam204 »

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone as any insight on how long the background checks take. Nav canada has had my paperwork for about 3 weeks now.

I'm 99.99% sure I'm gonna pass but it would be a bit foolish to leave my current career without being absolutely sure
---------- ADS -----------

mjr2009
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: How long does the background check usually take?

Post by mjr2009 »

Most of the time, the background check is very dependent on how quickly your references respond to the company NAV Canada uses to conduct the background screening. All in all, if you also have nothing in your past (criminal record etc...) - that should reduce the time it takes as well to complete the check. My background check took less than a week to complete because all my employer supervisors responded the day of when contacted. If you are that sure there is no issues, your background check may actually be completed - ask your FIR HR representative if it is done. They should be able to tell you. What FIR are you in and what course???

tam204
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tam204 »

YWG, IFR course may 23. They still haven't contacted my references so I'm not sure what the hold up is.

mjr2009
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mjr2009 »

tam204 wrote:YWG, IFR course may 23. They still haven't contacted my references so I'm not sure what the hold up is.
Well, if they have not yet contacted your references, then unfortunately for you it is just a waiting game. You shouldn't assume there is something wrong especially if you know you have no past. It seems this is an administrative issue - in that there is some delay on either NAV Can getting the paperwork into the hired background check company - or the background check company not moving at a faster pace for some reason. Waiting sucks, I know! Hang in there

tam204
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tam204 »

Alright, thanks for the help!

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

As a side note, I had about 4 weeks notice from getting my course offer to actually starting the Basic course. My check was completed in time. But I would agree with the other advice, give HR a ring and ask how's it coming.

bigZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bigZ »

i sent in all the info for my background check last week and they have contacted all of my references already. So maybe give them a shout to see if they are missing something that is holding it up? I forgot to send in a copy of two pieces of ID but they contacted me asking for it.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”