ILS protected airspace

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Plim Sole
Rank 3
Rank 3

ILS protected airspace

Post by Plim Sole »

Quick couple of questions for my ATC brothers and sisters....

1. ILS approach. Vertically, what is my protected airspace? Between the IAF, MAP and to the missed approach hold? Legally, does the protected airspace extend up to the final missed approach altitude from anywhere on the approach?

2. Specifically, LOC 08R YVR (flown as a GPS approach with glideslope). Lets say I cross the IAF below my G/S, the autopilot doesn't capture the G/S and it disappears below me. Instead of diving for the glideslope I elect to do a go-around. So now I am above the first portion of the missed approach (Im at 3000 instead of 2000). I call in the go-around to ATC and fly laterally to the MAP.... what does ATC expect vertically? Must I legally descend to 2000'? If so, can anyone direct to me to the TC or ATC document that states it?

3. As an example and playing devils advocate, the missed approach says "climb to 620', right turn hdg 113 and climb to 2000', reaching waypoint xyz climb to 6000". Legally, I can't comply with the missed approach as I can't climb to 620 if Im already at 3000'. What would ATC do if when told to fly the published missed I replied "unable"?

I ask as the question came up with the company recently and I said I would try and get to the bottom of it and advise.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

If possible...Its better to stop then land...than land then stop!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: ILS protected airspace

Post by photofly »

TC AIM RAC
9.26 MISSED APPROACH PROCEDURES Whenever a pilot conducts a published missed approach from an instrument approach procedure, the aircraft must continue along the published final approach course to the published Missed Approach Point (MAP) and follow the published missed approach instructions. The pilot may climb immediately to the altitude specified in the missed approach procedure or assigned by ATC.
(I think you should descend to the final missed approach altitude if you need to, in your example 6000, unless given other instructions. But no need to go below that.)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
16SidedOffice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 16SidedOffice »

I would think that that far back on final, you would tell Arrival that you are unstable or however you'd prefer to call it and going around. Arrival would then pull you out and re vector you for another approach.

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by A346Dude »

I don't know the technical answer as I'm not an IFR controller.

Practically, in radar airspace I wouldn't descend to minimums pointlessly, nor would I climb if you're already that high. I think it could be possible that ATC has already cleared someone down to 1000' above your current altitude, so if you climb unexpectedly well back from the MAP there could be an issue.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”