Would you say working as an air traffic controller is a job or a career?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

thebigman111
Rank 1
Rank 1

Would you say working as an air traffic controller is a job or a career?

Post by thebigman111 »

What other related jobs can one do after working as a FSS or an air traffic controller? Any ex-controllers working in related fields or moved around Navcanada?
---------- ADS -----------

A346Dude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Would you say working as an air traffic controller is a job or a career?

Post by A346Dude »

Very few people leave Nav Canada to do something else. You can move around internally and that is not uncommon.

TGSky
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TGSky »

I've known/heard of two people who left nav Canada other than for health/retirement reasons. One to become a stay at home parent, and the other to focus on a career in politics. Like the above commenter said, it's very rare for people to leave the company. Nav Canada is definitely a career and not a job.

upnatem
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by upnatem »

Go to the airport and look at the parking lots. First where the ATC folks park and then where the pilots park - a big part of your question will be answered. :P

thebigman111
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thebigman111 »

I wouldn't really say income is the factor that separates a job and a career. Moreso, what other occupations can one move in to after working as ATC? Any moves in related industries?

Dutchpilotguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dutchpilotguy »

upnatem wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:12 am Go to the airport and look at the parking lots. First where the ATC folks park and then where the pilots park - a big part of your question will be answered. :P
BAHAHA!! Funny... when I was wrapping up my MEI, I remember looking across the parking lot at the tower thinking: “there’s gold in them thur hillz!”

Truthfully, to the original point, I do not think income is a determining factor in answering a question as abstract as the subject line. HOWEVER, I would submit to anyone that lifestyle is a determining factor for many people.

I worked a mid last night, but had the luxury of being home before and after my shift. Certainly, weighed against a career as a pilot, that is a huge perk for me!

As far as work/life balance goes, it is a choose your own adventure novel to some extent- work lots, or work your bare minimum of days if that’s your thing.

I would, therefore, call it a career. Some may consider it a job, but you can see and feel the difference and immediately see “who’s who in the zoo”, in my opinion.

I’m not sure what the motivations of this post are, but I suspect a good review of priorities is in order. There is much to consider about a career with Nav Canada (I suspect you’re external, because the answers are common internally...), and thinking about AFTER that career is a little self limiting in scope and in my view, a work ethic question. Yes, people have multiple careers, but consistently chasing careers, particularly AFTER one that hasn’t been had already is questionable.

Assuming you gave good work ethic and are simply trying to analyze work potential later in life- that’s too loaded of a question in a world of technology.

If you are internal or somehow related, well, without a doubt people have moved to other career opportunities. Transportation Safety Boards, Flight dispatching, Airfield Operations, self-employment, etc... essentially, your question has too many variables to be able to answer you clearly.

Dutch
thebigman111
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thebigman111 »

What is it that you mean by external? As in not yet working?

I believe you are somewhat right about my priorities. I haven't yet given it my all or devoted everything, yet.

Is it not normal to think about what could happen years from now? In case something happens to Navcan? Automation? Something disruptive to the airline industry?

Just trying to gauge what other industries are available once someone has worked as an fss/atc

Return to “ATS Question Forum”