First time doing STAR's

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

First time doing STAR's

Post by northernpilot2 »

I will be doing a STAR for first time in the next few days (YYZ). Anything I need to know? Any common mistakes pilot's make so I don't make them? Please list any advice.

It will most likely be the DUVOS1 arrival SSM transition. I know that we plan for the RWY on the ATIS, but I heard at YYZ its not the case. Just curious how early will I know what runway to plan for? I don't want to end up at DUVOS and not know which way to go.

Thanks for the tips :D
---------- ADS -----------

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: First time doing STAR's

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

They should tell you which runway to expect before you get to a point where you'll have to make a turn based on the runway. If not, just ask.

Watch those altitude crossings where they are listed as cross "XXXX between 17,000 and 15,000" (I think it is 10,000 and 6,000 in this arrival's case). You may be cleared down to 5,000 by ATC, but the expectation is that you will still obey that crossing restriction unless they tell you otherwise. For some reason a bunch of people have been bitten by this, but simply obey the STAR until told otherwise, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy the flight.

Married a Canadian
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Married a Canadian »

You will get given the arrival runway no later than 60 miles out from YYZ. ATIS will give you an "idea". However the definitive will come within the distance stated, and is dependent on whatever operational factors are in effect.

Let us know if you can't make the restrictions.
Please PLEASE don't slow your speed from the published without telling us (one of the most annoying things you can do at YYZ and getting to the point where aircraft are getting yanked from final).
You can ask if we need the restrictions on the STAR, a lot of controllers don't worry about the altitudes so long as you get down.

All altitudes are assigned by ATC, if the STAR tells you that the crossing restriction at a certain point is 3000, and you have been cleared to 5000, then descend to 5000 only. That is what caused so much confusion during the "descend via STAR" phase!!

Not much else I can think of.

hydro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by hydro »

If the ATIS has 2 different runways, you can guess/preplan 05/23 as your most likely runway from the DUVOS arrival. Unless there are delays/holding, it should be pretty straight forward to DUVOS. Just fly along and you will most likely be cleared to 9000, with the expectation you follow the published altitude restrictions/speeds. At DUVOS you will be at 9000-10,000 and you'll get switched to Terminal/arrival. Also if any questions pop up, feel free to ask. The controllers over SSM are the same specialty as the arrival until DUVOS so you have plenty of time to clarify things early.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Thanks for the replies folks. I will let you know how it goes once I do the flight.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Welcome to Toronto. You flying single on a Caravan departing SSM? I'm making some assumptions...

If so expect to cross Duvos around 7000' - most controllers keep you under any larger traffic on the arrival.

The controllers are great and work with a lot of requests - if in doubt don't be shy - they'll help you out. Stay out of the ice.

Oh and that GPS should have a good vnav function to help if you want to time your descents.

Have a great flight.

S.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”