YYZ ice storm

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

YYZ ice storm

Post by cossack »

Having worked Saturday-Monday I just wanted to put on the record how hard everyone worked to keep things moving, even if there were some long delays. Be it ATC, airport ops, de-icing crews and plow teams. Everyone did all they could.
The airlines canceled enough flights to make the throughput manageable (even if Swissport did have issues) which caused some very long gate holds. Those crews sitting out on the field waiting for a gate, did so mostly with great patience, which we appreciated.
There were about 710 movements on Sunday which is about half of a normal April Sunday. That was more than YVR on any day this month. :wink:
Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: YYZ ice storm

Post by TheStig »

I'd second that. My compliments to everyone who worked this past weekend in YYZ, those were extremely challenging conditions and everyone I dealt with was working diligently, professionally and safely. Everything is a struggle in nearly non-stop freezing rain; just getting off the gates is a challenge with bridges failing frequently, aircraft doors freezing shut and APU's that are extremely adverse to freezing precip, and thats saying nothing about all those working outside in those conditions.

It was great to see the airlines, Nav Canada and airport authority being proactive with cancelations. In the terminal I spent a few hours talking with customers as we waited through delays, they were all understanding and patient despite most having had challenging weekends. A few I'd talked to had flown across the country only to have their connecting flights cancelled, they'd then spent the night/day at Pearson only to be flying home again. Everyone just wanted to know if their flight was actually going to leave (not eventually cancel), which given what the departure board looked like was a fair question. Looks like the weather is improving this week, job well don't to everyone who helped hundreds of thousands of passengers move safely over the past 4 days.

LTR123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YYZ ice storm

Post by LTR123 »

They did a great job. Tough situation.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”