IFR training schedule

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

whitedeer
Rank 0
Rank 0

IFR training schedule

Post by whitedeer »

Hi everyone,

What’s the initial classroom training schedule like for IFR candidates? Is there a summer vacation or any days off or is it just non-stop with the exception of stat holidays?

Also, what’s the difference between en-route and terminal IFR?

Thank you!
---------- ADS -----------

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: IFR training schedule

Post by Braun »

It really depends on when your course starts ETC...Where I work there usually is a small break between the initial generic portion and the specialty course. 2-3 weeks maybe. It is different everywhere and courses can start throughout the year so it's hard to tell in advance. You'd find out at the beginning of your course, it would be hard to know before that.

En-route generic focuses on en-route control which is the medium level airspace between airports and is usually from the ground to 28000ft. The terminal course is to prepare candidates for training in a terminal environnent. Terminal control the flow of trafic close to busy airports. They both are IFR controllers but the skills and techniques can be quite different so that's why the courses are now separated.

whitedeer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by whitedeer »

Hey Braun,

Thanks for the info. Do you know how long the initial generic portion is and if there are any breaks once the specialty course starts? I'm starting on April 1st, if that makes a difference.

Thanks!

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Hey, no problem!

The generic course is 5-6 months approximately. Specialty courses vary in length so it is really hard to answer without knowing where you are going. What FIR are you in? I suggest you contact them for specific course information as we all have different lengths and particularities. If

whitedeer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by whitedeer »

Hey Braun,

I contacted them and found out the course is non-stop without any breaks except for stat holidays! We'll probably get more info once we start but that helped. I'm doing IFR in Vancouver. So far there are 4 of us that have managed to connect but there must be more of us out there :)

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

For Vancouver plan Mon-Fri 0700-1500. No breaks except stats. There is a possibility of a few weeks between generic and specialty depending how the generic course goes. Basically you can kiss your entire summer good bye and you should probably tell your friends and family that you are not available. Your summer camping trips and beach visits just turned into one on one dates with you, your notes and the simulator. Committing yourself 100% to the training is one of the keys to success. Those that don't rarely last.

TA/RA

Return to “ATS Question Forum”