Which FIR region in Canada gives you the best chance of getting into IFR

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Which FIR region in Canada gives you the best chance of getting into IFR

Post by ProfessionalATC »

Hello fellow ATC hopefuls and those that have already realized the dream.

I’m looking to apply to ATC in the next few months and I am willing to apply to any FIR that gives me the best chance to be placed on an IFR course. The websites say the have assessments 3 times a year in Edmonton, Winnipeg and Montreal. So I’m thinking that the demand is highest in these areas and as such would give me the best chance of being selected. I don’t speak French so Montreal is out, so that leaves Winnipeg and Edmonton. Which of these 2 FIRs do you think would have the most training spots available and the lesser number of people applying to IFR ?
---------- ADS -----------

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Which FIR region in Canada gives you the best chance of getting into IFR

Post by TA/RA »

Why the instance on IFR? Both training streams are incredibly challenging. I recommend to people to take what they get. You odds at a licence are better if you start VFR then you can bid into IFR after 3 years with the security of return rights to your VFR unit. In the last contract they froze all seniority bids from IFR to VFR so that they could focus on getting more ab-initios into the VFR stream to increase qualification rates. That said there is an IFR course in Vancouver in April that has several ab-initios on it.

TA/RA

Last edited by TA/RA on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Which FIR region in Canada gives you the best chance of getting into IFR

Post by ProfessionalATC »

TA/RA wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:32 pm Why the instance on IFR? Both training streams are incredibly challenging. I recommend to people to take what they get. You odds at a licence are better if you start VFR then you can bid into IFR after 3 years with the security of return rights to your VFR unit. In the last contract they froze all seniority bids from IFR to VFR so that they could focus on getting more ab-initios into the VFR stream to increase qualification rates. That said there is an IFR course in Vancouver in April that has several ab-initios on it.

TA/RA
ATC & Instructor

Thank you for your reply, if I was given a VFR course I would definitely take it but my thinking was that since the IFR courses are larger that would increase my chances of getting a spot.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”