Temp corrections for "Extreme cold"

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Temp corrections for "Extreme cold"

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

Looking through the latest AIP at temp correction for IAP (RAC 9.17.1) and the term "Extreme cold weather" is used as the caveat to temp correct the min altitudes plus MSA and Arc altitudes. "Extreme cold weather" is not defined in the AIP. I seem to remember using -30c as the point at which temp correction was applied to all altitudes.

What one person may define as extreme cold may differ from another, eg. Vancouver pilot vs Yellowknife pilot.

Is this term defined anywhere?
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Temp corrections for "Extreme cold"

Post by telex »

Freeport_Flyer wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:21 pm Looking through the latest AIP at temp correction for IAP (RAC 9.17.1) and the term "Extreme cold weather" is used as the caveat to temp correct the min altitudes plus MSA and Arc altitudes. "Extreme cold weather" is not defined in the AIP. I seem to remember using -30c as the point at which temp correction was applied to all altitudes.

What one person may define as extreme cold may differ from another, eg. Vancouver pilot vs Yellowknife pilot.

Is this term defined anywhere?
Can't help you with a definition but have a look at Note 2.

"2. Values should be added to published minimum IFR altitudes."

All altitudes need to be corrected. -30 has no relevance.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Whenever the altimeter setting source is below freezing, it’s a requirement to correct altitudes for temperature.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I've never heard of just correcting the lower altitudes.

Sure, your obstacle clearances are higher on Sector or 100 safe... but so is the altimeter reading error. What's a 40 feet correction on an MDA or DH is 400 feet on some sector altitudes.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Freeport_Flyer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Freeport_Flyer »

Then why differentiate what to do in extreme cold weather at all? Quote from newest AIP below. It’s in a “blue section” which I believe highlights a change.
In conditions of extreme cold weather, pilots should add the values derived from the Altitude Correction Chart to the published altitudes, including minimum sector altitudes and DME arcs, to ensure adequate obstacle clearance. Unless otherwise specified, the destination aerodrome elevation is used as the elevation of the altimeter source.
If you are required to correct these all the time when temps are below zero why bother making special note? I believe temp correction is for MDA / DH / FAF when below zero and you only correct the MSA and arcs for extreme cold.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

All minimum altitudes get corrected. CAP GEN p33.

Corrections are applied so you don’t hit terrain and obstacles. They don’t care what the title of the restriction is. If you know a Correction is appropriate, why would you *not* want to apply it? When you’re 7000’ above your altimeter setting source your 1000’ clearance over that ridge can have disappeared.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

So, I know it doesn’t apply to civilians but military guidance is temperature correct only altitudes inside the FAF, unless it’s -30C or below, or the airport is located in a mountaneous region where you temperature correct all altitudes.

Going for the deck at corner
GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

I've flown with quite a few "older" captains who only bother to temp comp the FAF and Minimums (most of the time it's the same guys that still think calling level is required...).

Similar topic, why do LNAV/VNAV procedures have minimum usable temperatures (normally around -25)? If you temp comp every waypoint you should still have a safe and usable slope, no?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

GoinVertical wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 am Similar topic, why do LNAV/VNAV procedures have minimum usable temperatures (normally around -25)? If you temp comp every waypoint you should still have a safe and usable slope, no?
Because your pseudo glidepath is based on baro information which is not temperature corrected.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:11 pm
GoinVertical wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:48 am Similar topic, why do LNAV/VNAV procedures have minimum usable temperatures (normally around -25)? If you temp comp every waypoint you should still have a safe and usable slope, no?
Because your pseudo glidepath is based on baro information which is not temperature corrected.
Last I checked my FMS temperature corrects the entire slope... if each waypoint on the slope is temperature corrected then won't the pseudo glidepath be correct? If I throw LPV on one and select LNAV/VNAV on the other the slope looks the same to me.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

GoinVertical wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:13 pm
AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:11 pm
Last I checked my FMS temperature corrects the entire slope... if each waypoint on the slope is temperature corrected then won't the pseudo glidepath be correct? If I throw LPV on one and select LNAV/VNAV on the other the slope looks the same to me.
Yours may. Some don’t. ICAO guidance allows pilots flying temperature compensated VNAV glidepath to ignore the min temperature limitation. Not sure how it works in the civilian world. Will become moot with more and more aircraft equipped with Augmented GNSS systems.

Edit: here’s the ICAO guidance: https://www.icao.int/SAM/eDocuments/13P ... %20eng.pdf Para 13 is if interest.

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

AuxBatOn wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:30 pm Yours may. Some don’t. ICAO guidance allows pilots flying temperature compensated VNAV glidepath to ignore the min temperature limitation. Not sure how it works in the civilian world. Will become moot with more and more aircraft equipped with Augmented GNSS systems.

Edit: here’s the ICAO guidance: https://www.icao.int/SAM/eDocuments/13P ... %20eng.pdf Para 13 is if interest.
Excellent reading material! Good to know, thank you!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Temperature corrections are not mandatory. They use the term "should" instead of the word "shall", making it optional. It's pretty dumb not to use them, but that's another discussion. So to give baro VNAV a regulated level of safety and low minimums during normal temperatures, they need to specify a minimum temperature.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”