Speed Limits

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

snapped
Rank 2
Rank 2

Speed Limits

Post by snapped »

We all know within 10nm and below 3000ft AGL of a controlled airport you are required to maintian 200kts IAS or less.

Does this rule apply to a class E areodrome manned by CARS or FSS?

It is considered controlled airspace but the speed restiction is based on a controlled airport.
---------- ADS -----------

where's the snacks?
Zatopec
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Zatopec »

It does not apply in class E airspace.

Zatopec
_______

He who has his ear to the ground has his ass exposed
Aeros
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Aeros »

CAR 602.32(2) No person shall operate an aircraft below 3,000 feet AGL within 10 nautical miles of a controlled airport at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots unless authorized to do so in an air traffic control clearance.

In your example you are asking about an aerodrome manned by CARS or FSS. In these cases the aerodome is not a controlled airport so the restriction would not apply.

zzjayca
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zzjayca »

From a common sense approach, I would think the speed limits are more important for an uncontrolled aerodrome than a controlled one.

At an airport with a tower, (especially one with radar) ATC can monitor and advise an aircraft of any conflictions.

At an airport without a tower, you are relying on position reports from other aircraft and a see and be seen approach to keep from hitting one another. Just like when driving a car, the faster you are going, the less time you have to react to something. When you approach an aerodrome, the probability of other aircraft operating in your vicinity increases. Because of this, it makes sense to slow down and increase the time available to react to traffic.

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

CAR 602.32(2) No person shall operate an aircraft below 3,000 feet AGL within 10 nautical miles of a controlled airport at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots unless authorized to do so in an air traffic control clearance.
Does "keep the speed up" or "Best forward speed" from ATC fall under that required authorization?

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Go Guns wrote:
Does "keep the speed up" or "Best forward speed" from ATC fall under that required authorization?
Reply "keeping speed up" and don't state a "speed." We would think yes, they depending on who's on the watch will think whatever and you might see a wonderful letter in the mail...

South
Rank 0
Rank 0

Speed Limits

Post by South »

"keep the speed up"

a.k.a hurry up BUT don't break the rules......we got a fast guy behind you. I won't give you a specific speed because then I, not you, get in trouble. ATC can not override the CARS except with very specific waivers which most of us don't have.

we understand if you slow to 250 at 100 or 200 at 030.

pokaroo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pokaroo »

The 200 knot @ 3000 agl within 10 nm or 250knots @ 10000 restrictions do not apply to departing aircraft.

looproll
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by looproll »

who here has actually got busted on the 200KT speed limit?

FamilyGuy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FamilyGuy »

The answer is right in the regs. :roll:

Are you expecting ATC to say "PAG613 keep the speed up - hereby authorized under CARS 602.32(2)"?????

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Aeros wrote:CAR 602.32(2) No person shall operate an aircraft below 3,000 feet AGL within 10 nautical miles of a controlled airport at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots unless authorized to do so in an air traffic control clearance.
A class E control zone is still controlled airspace, hence the confusion. Do they specifically state in the regs that there actually has to be a tower controller? What happens when the tower closes at a C or D and the zone reverts to E...does the speed limit reg disappear?

Just so you know, I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to know if you know in the regs where this is clarified because I couldn't find it.

PS If any of you ATC/FSS people can answer this through your MANOPS, that would suffice for me.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
Raydar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Raydar »

250/200 kts indicated not grounding...Airports with a FSS are not necesarily uncrontrolled. CYZT (port hardy) for example lies withing controlled airspace and the speed limit order would apply.

The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bagpipes and called it music
C206Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C206Pilot »

pokaroo wrote:The 200 knot @ 3000 agl within 10 nm or 250knots @ 10000 restrictions do not apply to departing aircraft.
This does apply if you have not been cleared above Ten.

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

You can be in controlled airspace and at an uncontrolled airport at the same time.

The below 10,000 foot rule would apply in the vicinity of such an airport, but not the 10 mile rule, since the airport is not controlled (i.e.: no ATC tower), but the airspace is.

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

Cap'n P8 wrote:
Aeros wrote:CAR 602.32(2) No person shall operate an aircraft below 3,000 feet AGL within 10 nautical miles of a controlled airport at an indicated airspeed of more than 200 knots unless authorized to do so in an air traffic control clearance.
A class E control zone is still controlled airspace, hence the confusion. Do they specifically state in the regs that there actually has to be a tower controller? What happens when the tower closes at a C or D and the zone reverts to E...does the speed limit reg disappear?

Just so you know, I'm not trying to be rude, I just want to know if you know in the regs where this is clarified because I couldn't find it.

PS If any of you ATC/FSS people can answer this through your MANOPS, that would suffice for me.
It says controlled airport, not airspace. The 3/2/1 rule doesn't apply to an FSS. The 250/10,000 rule does.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Why dissilution them grimey? Let them slow down, it's good for them.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”