YXL

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

We use MVA's in a non terminal environment daily.
Yep, I stand corrected.
---------- ADS -----------

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

Didn't mean to imply that the departures wouldn't be procedural based...just a lot quicker to get the next aircraft a clearance valid if the proceeding aircraft was under radar control immediately after becoming airborne, ie. not having to wait for him to climb through 4000' etc.

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
jonathan_tcu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jonathan_tcu »

I occasionally tune to YXL via Live ATC and it's just like listening to YTS and YYB radio with their own 'rules' for their aerodome. Sometimes the YTS guys may not update the ATIS for whatever reason it is. Here's a question, if a special goes out for IFR conditions and shortly after, VFR conditions prevail, why wait for the top of the hour to update? Why not throw out another special for VFR conditions?

FSS wannabe, just curious about stuff, that's all
FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FREEFALL »

jonathan_tcu wrote:Here's a question, if a special goes out for IFR conditions and shortly after, VFR conditions prevail, why wait for the top of the hour to update? Why not throw out another special for VFR conditions?
Workload permitting, the ATIS cannot be updated with every SPECIAL that comes out like it should be. FSS MANOPS has criteria for when the ATIS has to be updated. And the Manual of Observations (MANOBS) FSS use as the bible for weather observations states when a special is to be input. But if the position that inputs the ATIS (at a stand-alone sight) is busy, priority of duty comes to play. Do I record the ATIS or do I assist in solving this head-to-head conflict

If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!
jonathan_tcu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jonathan_tcu »

FREEFALL wrote:
jonathan_tcu wrote:Here's a question, if a special goes out for IFR conditions and shortly after, VFR conditions prevail, why wait for the top of the hour to update? Why not throw out another special for VFR conditions?
Workload permitting, the ATIS cannot be updated with every SPECIAL that comes out like it should be. FSS MANOPS has criteria for when the ATIS has to be updated. And the Manual of Observations (MANOBS) FSS use as the bible for weather observations states when a special is to be input. But if the position that inputs the ATIS (at a stand-alone sight) is busy, priority of duty comes to play. Do I record the ATIS or do I assist in solving this head-to-head conflict

I agree with that. Long story made short, when I know our FSS is handling aircrafts right at obs. time, the obs IS put on hold and the ATIS can be updated as late as 15 min's past the hour and I'll see Obs taken + 15 in the METAR.

FSS wannabe, just curious about stuff, that's all

Return to “ATS Question Forum”