Communication between FICs, ACCs, and FIRs

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Communication between FICs, ACCs, and FIRs

Post by Go Guns »

Yesterday I did a trip from Prince George to Fort Ware where I filed IFR both ways. We had left Ft Ware 5 minutes before our ETD, called up Whitehorse Radio through the Ft Ware RCO looking for Wx and gave him a time up out of AJ9 and an ETA for YXS. 40 minutes before our ETA into Prince George, and still well before entering controlled airspace or even being able to talk to Center, Vancouver Center is calling our company wondering where we are? So my questions are a) We told Whitehorse we were on an IFR from Fort Ware to Prince George and gave him times, why didn't he pass them on?

and b) Wouldn't it make sense for Vancouver Center to call Whitehorse FIC if they're looking for us? seeing as the RCO is right @ Fort Ware, our point of departure? don't you people talk to one another?
---------- ADS -----------

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Yeah, we do talk to each other, but sometimes some people don't talk to the right people. There's so many rules about who is supposed to do what and sometimes there's a disconnect.

If you're IFR the people looking for you are the ATOS folks at the ACC. Common sense says they should probably contact the most likely FSS/ATC you would have been talking to. I'm not really too familiar with their procedures, though. (And common sense doesn't always apply in some of our procedures :wink: )

On the bright side, isn't it nice to know someone will be looking for you if you don't show up?

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns »

On the bright side, isn't it nice to know someone will be looking for you if you don't show up?
Thanks for your reply. It is nice to know somebody is going to come looking :) Cheers

32a
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 32a »

Came IFR from Tofino to Abbotsford low approach VFR to Chilliwack. Abbotsford twr was trying to give us some Victoria terminal phone number to close our flight plan arriving Chilliwack.

Apparently ACC hangs on to IFR flightplans and FIC handles VFR ones. Comms between the two I don't know much about either but Abbotsford tower didn't/doesn't have the capacity to talk to either for closing flightplans.

Sounds like an area NAVCAN could improve in.

The probability of survival is dependent on the angle of arrival.
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

32a wrote:Sounds like an area NAVCAN could improve in.
NO THANKS.. anything that they can improve on, will be a cost burden to the "consumer."

FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FREEFALL »

cyyz wrote:NO THANKS.. anything that they can improve on, will be a cost burden to the "consumer."
.......And what exactly will you be consuming!

If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

FREEFALL wrote:
cyyz wrote:NO THANKS.. anything that they can improve on, will be a cost burden to the "consumer."
.......And what exactly will you be consuming!
Lets see, they'll need to write up a procedure, that will take atleast a 5 man think tank, then they'll need another 5 man think tank to see if contradicts another reg, then they'd need to change all the manuals(it's not free), then they'd need to "train" everyone on the "new procedure" and then after a year it would need to be reviewed by another think tank to see if it's work and onther group to evaluate if it's worth having....

They're not TC/gov't entity that likes to waste dollars, but they'll gladly say that they did and pass on the "assumed" costs down the line.

and then they'll be nice enough to mail you your yearly fee's letter with, "fees are up, but we've increased our service"

FREEFALL
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FREEFALL »

At least you're getting lots of bang for your buck. :lol:

If riding in a plane is FLYING. Then Riding in a boat is SWIMMING!
cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

FREEFALL wrote:At least you're getting lots of bang for your buck. :lol:
=) lol... speaking of the buck... Got the bill last week and looked at the due date, and lol, I was already 3 weeks late in payment... *bravo*

Return to “ATS Question Forum”