yqt tower!

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

yqt tower!

Post by flyinhigh »

Question for ya,
when there is a guy on 4 mile final why will we not get cleared to back track and take off.
The other day(has happened numerous times)we sat holding short for about 5 minutes because there was a king air coming in, we could see them and could go no problem but we weren't aloud to, what gives?
what are your sops for the spacing, etc?
curious on some insite so we understand and aren't sitting in the plane going whats this moron doing here get us out..
Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

It's a "control" issue.

jonathan_tcu
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jonathan_tcu »

I know that identifier Thunder Bay, anyway. Why not do what most airports allow with their center control, VFR departure? Or am I off again? lol

FSS wannabe, just curious about stuff, that's all
lexx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: yqt tower!

Post by lexx »

flyinhigh wrote:Question for ya,
when there is a guy on 4 mile final why will we not get cleared to back track and take off.
The other day(has happened numerous times)we sat holding short for about 5 minutes because there was a king air coming in
A King Air takes 5 minutes to go 4 miles on approach? Must be one of those new homebuilt replicas I guess.

I wonder whose judgement is out of whack here?

Not the controller's

squibbler
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by squibbler »

flyinhigh

There are a multitude of possible reasons why you were not backtracked and departed ahead of traffic at 4 miles. Such as

Length of backtrack? 07 from the intersection = no way (unless traffic on final was a c150 etc).

Operator familiarity - some IFR operators are in no hurry to expedite their backtrack so they lose out in the future. Others are s**t hot and know the airfield well so we'll be confident they'll be away in time - don't know where you fit in here.

Speed of a/c on final - will you have enough time to get away ahead?

Runway occupancy - you wouldn't necessarily know if there was a vehicle / a/c crossing further down, they'd be on the ground freq.

Departure path clear?

Terminal stopped your departure for some reason? They can do this electronically in a millisecond.

And on and on......

Did you need the backtrack? How about "TWR, we see your traffic on final, we can take an immediate from "X" no backtrack required". Trust me you'll be on your way if there's a gap!

Generally, we don't want traffic at the hold if they can be airborne, I'm guessing there were mitigating circumstances. We do have trainees in the TWR right now so it may have been a case of indecision - I really don't know. However, you can probably arrange a tour to the TWR without much effort and there you can engage the controllers with any questions you may have. If I had a $ for every pilot who complained about an aspect of ATC and when asked "ever visited a TWR and seen it from their side?" said "no" well I'd have a lot more beer money than I have right now!! You'll find us a friendly, humorous [eh Doc :wink: ) bunch and you might learn something, as we often do from pilots. Just don't call us morons whilst you're there, it's a long way down from the balcony :D

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I usually ask for a "no backtrack required" launch on 25...this sure works for us...tower never seems to have an issue here...and it speeds things up. Can't put my finger on the "runway remaining" without the back track on 25, but since we never have more than 3500 feet where we're going anyway, we can live without it.

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Doc wrote:Can't put my finger on the "runway remaining" without the back track on 25...
5,650 remaining from the Bravo intersection. :wink:

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

As said if you stated to the tower controller that no backtrack was required, and you were ready for immediate departure, he likely would have sent you.

Keep in mind it's always the pilots responsibility to ensure there is enough available ashphalt/gravel/grass/fence to get off the ground.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Squibbler thanks for the reply.
For us if we have patients on board we are required to use full length of runway so intersection is not an option for us sometimes.

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

flyinghigh...typical government.....you're Okay out of YPM with two patients, soft muddy, rutted etc, but they'll "rat you out" if, God forbid you were going to risk life and limb, and attempt to launch from....what was it?....5650 feet of pavement!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Squibbler....just a fast question. There is one guy that works the tower there in YQT who talks like "Machine Gun Kelly"...why? Correct me if I'm wrong here (I know you will, because you think I'm an anti-ATC bitch...which just is not true!) but most of YQT's traffic is student pilots? I mean, per movement, it's got to be a pretty high % of students...so why the really fast talk? Sounds like ORD on a Friday afternoon! It's just the one guy.

split s
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by split s »

I have a question as well, Why does the terminal frequency(119.2) sound like shit when most other sites sound ok? Is there a good reason?

Hey bubbles,get me some of those dressed all over chips!
Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

Never heard any complaints before about the freq. Anyone else?

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

I dont recall any problems with 119.2.....every so often, every controller picks up a skanky mic, or tries to talk with a mouth full of tuna sandwich, but beyond that...no probs

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

Tuna sandwich? Who you kidding? That's way to healthy.

Mmmmmm, doughnuts.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

lexx wrote:
flyinhigh wrote:Question for ya,
The other day(has happened numerous times)we sat holding short for about 5 minutes because there was a king air coming in
A King Air takes 5 minutes to go 4 miles on approach? Must be one of those new homebuilt replicas I guess.

I wonder whose judgement is out of whack here?

Not the controller's
figures that there is some guy on here that has to break down how fast or how slow something is instead of just answering the question. Fine maybe he was 4 final, thats still plenty of time to get out, so now why not answer what the actual question was smartass!!

lexx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lexx »

flyinhigh wrote:.......Fine maybe he was 4 final, thats still plenty of time to get out, so now why not answer what the actual question was smartass!!
It's "plenty of time to get out" in your opinion.

Application for ATC can be found at http://www.navcanada.ca

Cheers

PS If you don't think calling controllers morons will get you a smartass reply, you're thicker than I thought.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Hence why in the original post asked for the reasons so that we dont sit there bitching and we understand.

zzjayca
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by zzjayca »

flyinhigh wrote:Hence why in the original post asked for the reasons so that we dont sit there bitching and we understand.
Sometimes there are too many variables involved for someone who isn't trained in the job to understand.

If I was to say to an ACA A340 captain, what is your EGT on number three I would expect him to tell me to F__K off. It's not my concern. Rest assured, we are abiding by the rules and keeping you safe.

If you want our opinion as to a possible explanation for the controller's decision fine. Just don't expect us to say the controller was wrong. We weren't involved in the situation so our input is limited.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”