Salary Question - IFR

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

Towers are rated ATC-1 (low traffic) through ATC-6 (YYZ tower).

ACC's are all ATC-6.

You start at the first increment, and every 12 months you move up an increment until you reach the highest. Think of it as a raise every 12 months for your first 11 years on the job.
---------- ADS -----------

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Try Boston ARTCC, little to no tax, and starting wages around $160G

charlie_g
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by charlie_g »

av8rpei wrote:Try Boston ARTCC, little to no tax, and starting wages around $160G
From http://www.bls.gov. For the U.S:

"Air traffic controllers earn relatively high pay and have good benefits. Median annual earnings of air traffic controllers in May 2004 were $102,030. The middle 50 percent earned between $78,170 and $126,260. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $57,720, and the highest 10 percent earned more than $139,210.

The average annual salary, excluding overtime earnings, for air traffic controllers in the Federal Government—which employs 90 percent of the total—in nonsupervisory, supervisory, and managerial positions was $106,380 in May 2004. The Air Traffic Control pay system classifies each air traffic facility into one of eight levels with corresponding pay bands. Under this pay system, controllers’ salaries are determined by the rating of the facility. The higher the rating, the higher the controller’s salary and the greater the demand on the controller’s judgment, skill, and decision making ability."

pokaroo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pokaroo »

charlie_g ,

Those numbers can be misleading because that stat lumps all VFR and IFR controllers together. I know US IFR controllers who topped 200 US easily, in some of the centres the OT is even worse than up here. Just remember though they work a 5-2

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Charlie, you need to get your facts from somewhere other than the internet, these are words from Boston ARTCC controllers themselves.

If you check Websites most will say Canadian ATC start at $65K /year, when in fact most IFR controllers in Canada will make close if not over $100K in their first year licensed.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

pokaroo wrote:charlie_g ,

Those numbers can be misleading because that stat lumps all VFR and IFR controllers together. I know US IFR controllers who topped 200 US easily, in some of the centres the OT is even worse than up here. Just remember though they work a 5-2
Time is valuable :)

charlie_g
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by charlie_g »

pokaroo wrote:charlie_g ,
Ok. And boo to 5-2.
av8rpei wrote:Charlie, you need to get your facts from somewhere other than the internet, these are words from Boston ARTCC controllers themselves.

If you check Websites most will say Canadian ATC start at $65K /year, when in fact most IFR controllers in Canada will make close if not over $100K in their first year licensed.
True enough.

Colin Edwards
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Colin Edwards »

Is it true that there are a lot of retirements taking place within the next few years?

And, not that it really matters, but at what age do many controllers retire at? Just curious...

Thanks all...

Colin

armani
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by armani »

charlie_g wrote:
polythene_pam wrote:Some of the senior guys with a lot of OT are grossing 160 - 210k a year. It's easy to break 100-120k your first year if you work a lot of OT.
The only way I could foresee someone breaking the $150k-$160k mark would be a supervisor who practically lives at work. Anything beyond that is out of the question ($210k??? Not even close.). A controller who works a lot of overtime (i.e. frequent strings of 7 or 8 days on, one or two days off) can hit the $120k-$150k mark, depending on how many years they have in. However, it's a matter of how long you can keep that up before you burn out or snap.

We are very well paid for the job, but the upper end of your figures are out of whack, regardless of which site you work at.
How much TAX's do you pay?

charlie_g
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by charlie_g »

armani wrote:
charlie_g wrote:
polythene_pam wrote:Some of the senior guys with a lot of OT are grossing 160 - 210k a year. It's easy to break 100-120k your first year if you work a lot of OT.
The only way I could foresee someone breaking the $150k-$160k mark would be a supervisor who practically lives at work. Anything beyond that is out of the question ($210k??? Not even close.). A controller who works a lot of overtime (i.e. frequent strings of 7 or 8 days on, one or two days off) can hit the $120k-$150k mark, depending on how many years they have in. However, it's a matter of how long you can keep that up before you burn out or snap.

We are very well paid for the job, but the upper end of your figures are out of whack, regardless of which site you work at.
How much TAX's do you pay?
Enough to finance multiple Liberal scams, I guess. I think last year I paid around $35k in tax (tax only, not including other deductions) on just over $100k income.

armani
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by armani »

:roll: :roll: :evil: it is an average salary a year......

how come I heard in the states ATC's pay almost no tax?

07Canucks
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 07Canucks »

Charlie_G,

2005 was my first full year a qualified controller and I made 129,000 while only on my first increment. Now mind you I worked a lot of overtime, but not as much as at least 3 or 4 other people in my specialty, who all grossed more than 200,000. Thats on YEG OFP not YYZ's.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”