ATC - Why the stress rap???

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Is atc as stressful as its made out to be??

Yes, run... run while you can still find your own feet..
24%
Bah.. No..! Controllers are sissies,
19%
About as stressful as any other job
57%

Total votes: 21

justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

Oh but Jerricho, remember it is only in Canada where the planes can never come together despite what we do, that's why European ATC work in such a stressfull environment compared to ours. :lol: :lol:

YYZ has never flown a plane in Europe or talked through a headset, he has no clue about anything that is going on in the industry. The only thing he knows is how to post idiotic comments to try and get a heated discussion going.
---------- ADS -----------

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.
Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

You have a point Mr Crazy. My mistake.

C206Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C206Pilot »

PI: "Bus drivers should be paid more than pilots" ??

You sir, have obviously never flown single-pilot IFR without an autopilot. It is by far, the scariest, most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life, and I had passengers on board while circumnavigating an embedded thunderstorm...it was raining so hard it was coming through the vents and i was loosing lift because of the amount of water pouring over the lifting surfaces....that was right before i entered the downdraft of the storm and watched my VSI plunge to a 2000 FPM descent...

yah, but you're right, keeping that bus inside the lane is crazy....

superiorwhore
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by superiorwhore »

C206Pilot wrote:PI: "Bus drivers should be paid more than pilots" ??

You sir, have obviously never flown single-pilot IFR without an autopilot. It is by far, the scariest, most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life, and I had passengers on board while circumnavigating an embedded thunderstorm...it was raining so hard it was coming through the vents and i was loosing lift because of the amount of water pouring over the lifting surfaces....that was right before i entered the downdraft of the storm and watched my VSI plunge to a 2000 FPM descent...

yah, but you're right, keeping that bus inside the lane is crazy....
UUUH, ok I'm not arguing that bus drivers deserve more cause well that is just the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
However, who the hell did you fly for when you flew into a storm without auto-pilot, and by going into a storm I'll guess without weather radar?

Self respect for sale.
politically_incorrect
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by politically_incorrect »

C206Pilot wrote:You sir, have obviously never flown single-pilot IFR without an autopilot. It is by far, the scariest, most difficult thing I have ever done in my entire life, and I had passengers on board while circumnavigating an embedded thunderstorm...it was raining so hard it was coming through the vents and i was loosing lift because of the amount of water pouring over the lifting surfaces....that was right before i entered the downdraft of the storm and watched my VSI plunge to a 2000 FPM descent...
I have flown single pilot IFR w/o an autopilot, and it was probably the hardest mental challenge I had come across. Until I started controlling.

However, sounds like you need to go back to groundschool if your idea of "circumnavigating" a storm involves water through the vents and 2,000fpm downdrafts.

I'll grant you the disclaimer though. People who fly through cells should be paid more than bus drivers, because their lifespan will be considerably shorter.

C206Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C206Pilot »

I'll admit I made a mistake on that one flight out of hundreds before it and didn't realize how close the storm was because it was embedded.

I could blame the company for pushing us to fly in weather that was literally below VFR dozens upon dozens of times too, but I won't.

There are a lot of things I could say, but you know what the really funny thing is PI, that company paid us (pilots) so disgustingly poorly, we weren't making anything close to what a coach lines bus driver would make.

So, in the end, I guess you're right, because a bus driver definitely made more than I did that day. Yah, you win.

justplanecrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by justplanecrazy »

Those that don't admit to having made mistakes either don't have many hours or are liars.

Cancel a flight because of an autopilot going U/S????? Not fly in stormy weather without weather radar???? Did you guys not build time or just step straight into a sceaming VFR sight seeing gig?

We have no effective screening methods to make sure pilots are sane.
— Dr. Herbert Haynes, Federal Aviation Authority.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”