Pardon my ranting...

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

wingandaprayer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Pardon my ranting...

Post by wingandaprayer »

When calling up an ATS frequency, please get our attention first. Don't just start spouting off your information on your initial call. We have to be able to write down the info you are telling us. If we happen to be to be busy with traffic or doing one of our other duties(ie weather, entering NCAMS) we may not be sitting down at the board, ready to copy, when you call. So, to avoid having to ask for repeats, *please* call with your ident and type, and wait for us to respond.

Another thing, for the IFR pilots, when Centre tells you to make your mandatory call to Radio before getting you approach clearance, it is not for an advisory. We will give you the current altimeter setting and what ATIS is up, but the information we actually need out of that call is : Who you are, How far back you are, how long it's going to take you to get here, and what approach you are planning.
This is to give us a heads up of your intentions, so we can plan accordingly for what will happen and see how you fit into the picture. It's especially important during the winter when snow clearing is in progress, so we can plan on where to put our vehicles and when we have to move them for you.

~end rant

Cheers,
W&P
---------- ADS -----------

"this is how you smile to someone you don't like too much; this is how you smile to someone you don't like at all; this is how you smile to someone you like completely; this is how you set a table for tea." ~ Jamaica Kincaid, "Girl"
thatdaveguy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by thatdaveguy »

Agreed.

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

wingandaprayer wrote: This is to give us a heads up of your intentions, so we can plan accordingly for what will happen and see how you fit into the picture. It's especially important during the winter when snow clearing is in progress, so we can plan on where to put our vehicles and when we have to move them for you.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19780211-0

Not exactly what you're talking about, and procedures have changed since this occured, but still relevant.

FSS
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FSS »

Ghosts, brings back not pleasent memories. I was one of the two Radio Operators selected to transcribe those tapes. As we knew the outcome, it was not a pleasent job. They always in those days got old...er. senior RO's to transcribe as before the advent of tape recorders in Aeradio, we had to type everything that was said by pilots, controllers and anything else that was said into a paper log. Thus we knew the language and could type. Two were always selected as we could collate what we were listening to, plus as one transcribed, (me), the other would retype the short hand version, into long hand English which others could understand. As zero hour approached on the tape, I did not relish the job listening to the people involved. I also saw the coroner's pictures.
Very sad day. I have done other transcribtions, but this was the only fatal one. History lesson over.

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Establish Communications

Post by GilletteNorth »

Correct radio procedure is to ESTABLISH communications first...

Pilot: CY?? Radio, this is (aircraft type) (call sign)

Radio: (aircraft type) (call sign) this is CY?? Radio

Now you can pass all the relevant info...

One more thing... when it comes to Canadian aircraft, we all know the first letter of the 5 letter callsign is a 'C', it's NOT needed and can create confusion, however, the next letter IS needed which will be a 'G' or an 'F' and makes a big difference.

So please, no more 5 letter call ups ie:

"this is C-172 Charlie Golf November Quebec Xray"
(imaginary registration)

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?
flyinphil
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyinphil »

I have to disagree slightly to your post GN. While you operate in Canada, some pilots operate all over the world. The standard is generally to use the full 5 letters on initial call but what happens after digresses to the norm of the state you are flying in. For example, American controlers will often use your type and the last three letters of your ident while many European controllers use the "C" followed by the last 2 letters. C-GABC, becomes "Charlie Bravo Charlie in that case.

I have trouble remembering the 3 parts of a clearance just given let alone the registration sequence for the state i am flying over.

Small point, but we are a product of our environment. :wink:

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth »

flyingphil said:
The standard is generally to use the full 5 letters on initial call but what happens after digresses to the norm of the state you are flying in.
The Aeronautical Information Manual section 5.8.1 Canadian Private Civil Registration and Canadian or Foreign Carriers Without an Assigned Call Sign

(a) Initial contact: The manufacturers name or the type of aircraft, followed by the last four letters of the registration.
Examples:
Cessna GADT (Cessna GOLF ALFA DELTA TANGO)

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?

Return to “ATS Question Forum”