Question for YYZ ATS...

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Question for YYZ ATS...

Post by Canoehead »

I know that we are dealing with the GTAA and so on, but here goes anyway.

Has there ever been any consideration to using the 15's (and/or 33's) at YYZ for regional operations (turboprops) during VFR operations? What would be the requirements and would it be feasable? Sitting at 8000' 15 miles north of the field, lined up with 15L, light/calm winds... it seems so easy?

Just curious.
---------- ADS -----------

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Okay, any other's have any ideas on it?

The Velvet Fog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Velvet Fog »

Frankly, no. The 15's are apparently too noise sensitive, and the 33's involve too many intersections. Those are the main hurdles( intersections) to anything, but variations in crew performance would alos likely make it a nightmare.

Regards,

Mel

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Thanks Mel.

Too bad we couldn't all be on board with something like that. I often think we don't take HIRO seriously on our end (sorry- I do what I can). Too bad because with the Beech and the Dash I think this could be an option many days. I understand the intersection issues, but don't get me started on noise...

You guys do a great job btw.

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

In addition to Mel's points, from a tower perspective it would reduce the flexibility of ground way beyond any advantages that may be gained by having a few arrivals in the 15s. We would not be able to cross 15L from the time an arrival is about 2 miles out until it has rolled out, which would be in excess of 1 minute per arrival. Taxying aircraft both to and from the other runways would be penalized unduly and the chances of an incursion would be dramatrically increased.
So, landing on the 15s when using the 06s or 24s is really a non-starter, but we do whenever possible utilize 33R from B1 for departures that would normally use 05 when dualling on the 06s. That's gotta help!

DC

Return to “ATS Question Forum”