Recruiting process for ATC

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Recruiting process for ATC

Post by Braun »

I don't understand your question. You got refused and want to go directly to the test site?
---------- ADS -----------

crazy horse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crazy horse »

Rogue.

Dude, your original post makes no sense at all.
And here is a hint; don't take that attitude to training if you get that far. Believe me, you won't get far.

koberinski
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by koberinski »

Call the NAVCANADA center. The number is on the takecharge.navcanada.ca website.

YYZJuice
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZJuice »

A word to all of you hopefuls. You never know who is reading these forums. I'd caution you to conduct yourself here the same as if you were in the job interview cause as Crazy Horse says, you may not make it far. You might be insulting your OJI or maybe his best friend.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Rogue wrote:
Braun wrote:I don't understand your question. You got refused and want to go directly to the test site?
uhh Im not quite sure how you got that out of my 5 or 6 questions but ... maybe you should go back and re-read, did you succeed in your aptitude testing? I only ask as your ability to recognize details and sort through problems seems a touch lacking.
but for the grade one students here...

Question 1
If I see the following on the right hand side of my screen am I invited?

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
Date: June 08, 2011
Session Language: English

Question 2
In the middle of the wait between my GREEN ONLINE TESTING RESULTS and present Upcoming ASSESSMENT SESSION ATTENDANCE I had to change my email address and phone number.
Do you think that would create a problem for communication?

Question 3
If there might be a problem created by the above situation how do I contact the appropriate people to sort it out and check it out?

Question 4
Again referring to Question 2
If there might be a problem created by the above situation who IS(ARE) the appropriate person (people) to sort it out and check it out?

Question 5
YET Again referring to Question 2
If there was a problem created by the above situation and the communication lines were severed, if I went to the testing facility with the $200 bux could I still be tested?

Question 6
STILL Again referring to Question 2
If the communication lines were severed where is the testing facility to see if I am on the list?

Question 7 NEW QUESTION for the bright replier....
Have you been able to under STAND the questions now... or do you need some more clarification?
I am sorry you have the impression I was being a jerk. Your post was very hard to understand and I only asked a question if you notice the use of a question mark at the end of my post. To answer your question yes I did pass the assessments, several years ago and I am now a qualified ATC. If you read my posts since i've joined here I have tried to help many a people through the apllication process so relax.

Now to answer your question which I still don't understand because I don't see how you could "sever" communication and if you have to chane e-mail or telephone number why not call NavCanada and ask them? Also the way the selection process works I highly doubt you could just show up to the a session with money and write the test.

Have a nice day and good luck.

wingsonfire
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wingsonfire »

Wrote the very long assessment in Vancouver today...wonder if Rogue was in my session or the one in the morning or even showed up.

They've added the wSim now which is an extra hour added into the process. That's one part of the test in which it is actually possible to finish the entire test. Still have an audio portion that is really tough to get over 10 questions done and it's the only part that penalizes for wrong answers.

From the sounds of it I'm in for more waiting...2 weeks to see if I'll get a phone interview and I'm kind of looking forward to that part since it's supposedly conducted by retired ATCs. Should be a good time to bounce some questions around near the end. Apparently this interview is over an hour long though and I hope it's not questions about situations when this or that happened and how I reacted for the whole interview. That seems pretty scripted to have a former ATC conduct the interview when they've probably got a few better questions they could think of.

Anyone been through the interview process in the last few months and have updates on how the first interview plays out now?

Parth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Parth »

The first interview is actually 100% scripted. The interviewer has a set of questions he has to ask. Everyone is asked the exact same questions. Then he grades your response. This is really the only fair way to do it.

And it is mostly situational/behavioral. A lot of what would you do in this situation.

wingsonfire
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wingsonfire »

Thanks Parth! :prayer:

Hopefully there is some time at the end to switch roles and we can ask questions as well.

Have to cross my fingers that the green light comes on for the interview now. The battery of tests sure makes you unsure of how well you did in comparison to the other candidates. Of course it won't hurt to prepare now for some situational questions.

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Hey all,
I just did the online cognative testing - and only finished 20 of the 30 questions. I know they say not finishing them all is normal, but I had hoped to get through more.... I Have a newborn and thought I would do the test (since it is only 8 mins) while she was fast asleep... and after I started, she woke up screaming... This never happens - terrible luck lol. I ran and got a soother in her mouth but definately lost a minute or so.....

I wouldn be curious to know how many questions everyone got through on the cognative to see how far off I was....

Thanks

SYT

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"
Rank 0

Post by wingsonfire »

Well, just an update...the next green light went on but no call to set up the phone interview yet. Anyone else from the June 8 Vancouver testing heard anything back yet?

SYT, I had finished about 28 or 29 of the 30 online I believe, but I have no idea what they're looking for or how it's weighted. In the 4 hour marathon of tests that you write, you hardly finish any section completely and some sections, like the audio portion, you won't even finish a third of the questions and they're purposely designed this way.

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

If I dont pass the online application, can I ever apply again? Or did I just pooche it by not being smart enough to get a babysitter for the online test :S

Lost Cessna Pilot: "Big airport with a little Cessna 150 overhead, please identify yourself!"

Post by Oak »

You can re-apply after 12 months if you are not successful - however, given the fact that you were interrupted, you should call the National Recruitment Centre and inform them. They are able to "reset" your profile in rare situations like this, if you are worried that your results may be inconclusive due to the interruption. This way, you can apply yourself to the task 100%.

Good luck!

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

thank you oaks. Do you know how I might find this number?

Rank 0

Post by wingsonfire »

According to the NavCanada website contacts, the recruitment centre can be reached at 1-800-876-4693.

SYT_YYZ
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by SYT_YYZ »

Nm. I found it and called, they basically gave me the ole ' "tough, better luck next time."... Im the idiot who did it with my children home though :S

Rank 0

Post by wingsonfire »

Just a quick update for anyone else who wrote the assessment on June 8 in Vancouver or curious about how long the process takes:

Had a phone call on Saturday the 2nd of July to set up a phone interview and in less than an hour afterward, had a yellow light come up in the next phase and a confirmation email. For me, the whole process started in November and the longest wait so far was to get an invitation to write the assessment. The last few steps have been fairly quick but I anticipate a long wait once again after the first interview based on hearing from others and the rumors on next training dates in Vancouver.

I'll post again after I know if I'm on to the next step or not for all of you quietly lurking in the shadows that are interested.

Message me if you're too shy to post and are also going through the June 8 assessment group.

Cheers!

Fingers Crossed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fingers Crossed »

Hello Everybody!

Quick backround: Applied at the start of June '11 and have already completed the assessment and the phone interview. Live in Winnipeg.

Does anybody have an idea when the next training offer is in Winnipeg and if anybody has been invited to it yet?

Thanks Kindly

P.s. I'm aware that I still need to go through a second interview.....just curious.

wingsonfire
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by wingsonfire »

Hey Fingers Crossed, I'm not sure that this thread is replied to that much anymore. I seem to be the most active on this forum lately but that won't help you because I have no idea about Winnipeg. Rumor is that there may be training in Vancouver towards the end of the year and again in the new year. I've also heard that Winnipeg is in need of new controllers badly but without someone speaking up who works there, I wouldn't give rumors much credence.

I just had my first interview on the weekend and the light is green now but no yellow light for the second interview or call yet. I think this is good since the light didn't go red but will patiently wait for a phone call to set up the second interview, which may not be for another couple months. Anyone have any experience with the process and whether the green light means I am going to proceed to the next step or if it just indicates I phoned in and went through the interview? The site does also indicate I should send in my documentation now so I'll get it all sent off in the next week and make sure I keep my phone handy.

Also, was wondering if anyone else from the June assessment in Vancouver is checking in and at the same point in the process. Would be good to see how many of us are active on this forum.

Until the next update...

Banked
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Banked »

wingsonfire wrote:Hey Fingers Crossed, I'm not sure that this thread is replied to that much anymore. I seem to be the most active on this forum lately but that won't help you because I have no idea about Winnipeg. Rumor is that there may be training in Vancouver towards the end of the year and again in the new year. I've also heard that Winnipeg is in need of new controllers badly but without someone speaking up who works there, I wouldn't give rumors much credence.

I just had my first interview on the weekend and the light is green now but no yellow light for the second interview or call yet. I think this is good since the light didn't go red but will patiently wait for a phone call to set up the second interview, which may not be for another couple months. Anyone have any experience with the process and whether the green light means I am going to proceed to the next step or if it just indicates I phoned in and went through the interview? The site does also indicate I should send in my documentation now so I'll get it all sent off in the next week and make sure I keep my phone handy.

Also, was wondering if anyone else from the June assessment in Vancouver is checking in and at the same point in the process. Would be good to see how many of us are active on this forum.

Until the next update...
The green light means you successfully passed the first interview. This does NOT guarantee a call for the 2nd interview. It means you were placed in the 2nd interview candidate pool, and are eligible for a call. You will be compared against others who have qualified for the 2nd interview when they go through that process. So if hypothetically they decide to interview 10 people in a round, and there are 20 people in the qualified pool, they tend to interview the 10 "most qualified" applicants.

Despite this, from what I've heard, most people who green light from the first interview do eventually get a call for the second interview. You have eighteen months to receive a call before your application expires and you need to start over (if you're still interested at that point).

terencec
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by terencec »

Anyone else got called in to do the Vancouver Assessment on 04Jan?

Excited... but I have no idea how to prepare for it EVEN after looking through this forum.
Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”