Recruiting process for ATC

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Vault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Recruiting process for ATC

Post by Vault »

Braun wrote:...YUL because the next course isn't for a while...
Hi Braun
Do you have any info/rumour for the next VFR course in YWG?
Have been in the pool since May.
---------- ADS -----------

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

samuelsow wrote:Hi there

i received a pass ! :smt040 for the Montreal selection tests but the message i saw in the dashboard is a bit ambiguous because they just said that i may or may not be called by A navcanada interviewer later on .
My two questions are : who knows what is next in the process ? and if i do not receive a call does it mean that i failed and will have to wait for a year before being able to apply again ?

All the best for this year 2009 to the ATCOS and ATC wannabes
If it is like all the previous versions of recruiting:

Those with the highest scores will be called for interviews first.

As more people write the aptitude test, people with higher scores will be interviewed before people who wrote earlier, but have lower scores.

So, the higher you scored, the more likely you are to move on to the next step.

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

Looks like calls for interviews are being made for those who did the testing in Toronto. I got one this morning and I know of someone else who got a call yesterday.

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

Got a call today :D good luck everyone

Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
samuelsow
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by samuelsow »

i got a call yesterday :D

Could those who already went through the interview share their experience ?

Good luck to everyone !

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

Has anyone completed the phone interview yet? If so, are you willing to share any information?

Thank you!!

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

I had my interview on Monday morning. To keep things nice and fair I won't divulge any information about the questions :). However, I would recommend preparing in advance for questions you might expect. The questions look for past behaviour in certain situations as well as look to see how you would react in certain situations. Spend some time the day before going through your memory and coming up with stories or situations that would show relevant behaviour. http://www.quintcareers.com/sample_behavioral.html has a good database of typical behavioural questions. Also, you are marked on your communication abilities. I also suspect that if you hum and hah about a question it might look bad on you (which is why you should have lots of stories or situations written down beforehand). The interview is recorded as well so I wouldn't recommend making up any stories or else it may come back to haunt you in the next interview.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by invertedattitude »

Can some people give some more details on the sections? Not looking for answers, but break down what each section was about... there's a lot of vague details on here.

Obviously this is a lot different than the exam I wrote getting in, give up some details on what the test is about guys.

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

invertedattitude wrote:Can some people give some more details on the sections? Not looking for answers, but break down what each section was about... there's a lot of vague details on here.

Obviously this is a lot different than the exam I wrote getting in, give up some details on what the test is about guys.
Are you talking about the written assessments or the phone interview?

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

The written assesments, someone doing a write-up about what each section of the exam contains, I don't mean the answers, but what do they ask you? There's vague answers on here, but a decent short write-up about what's on the exam would be interesting to hear.

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

invertedattitude wrote:The written assessments, someone doing a write-up about what each section of the exam contains, I don't mean the answers, but what do they ask you? There's vague answers on here, but a decent short write-up about what's on the exam would be interesting to hear.
The testing was a few months ago for me so I'll try and give you any details i can remember.
There were several sections and each section was timed. The first was a general knowledge type of thing very similar to the online tests you had to do when you first applied (only more questions and a little bit more time).
Most of the other sections dealt with matching patterns, constructing shapes, a "what's wrong with this picture" etc etc. There was also an oral portion where they played a 5 minute recording, you have to take notes, and then answer questions about it. Knowing what types of questions there are really won't help you because I honestly don't think you can study for a test like this. Just be well rested and don't stress out a about it.

Cam
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cam »

I'm in Moncton on the 28th for the written 3 hour haul.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

buggy_boy wrote:
invertedattitude wrote:The written assessments, someone doing a write-up about what each section of the exam contains, I don't mean the answers, but what do they ask you? There's vague answers on here, but a decent short write-up about what's on the exam would be interesting to hear.
The testing was a few months ago for me so I'll try and give you any details i can remember.
There were several sections and each section was timed. The first was a general knowledge type of thing very similar to the online tests you had to do when you first applied (only more questions and a little bit more time).
Most of the other sections dealt with matching patterns, constructing shapes, a "what's wrong with this picture" etc etc. There was also an oral portion where they played a 5 minute recording, you have to take notes, and then answer questions about it. Knowing what types of questions there are really won't help you because I honestly don't think you can study for a test like this. Just be well rested and don't stress out a about it.
Thanks for the info, I'm a qualified controller myself, this info is for other people who will be applying behind you, and also interested in seeing how it has changed since I went through.

Best of luck to you in your application

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

Regection letter this morning for First interview. Confused as I thought I did well and even got many "good answer" responses, Also lot of good pilot experience. The only thing I can think of is that I said I would not be interested in the flight service route. :/

So I guess my advise would be , dont say that.

Good luck..

Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

That is a real bummer PartsPilot! How many times have you applied? I tried twice before with SHL. How did they indicate that you failed? Did you get a red light? I, fortunately got a green light, so they indicate that "might" get a call for a final interview. We will see what happens?

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

PartsPilot wrote:Regection letter this morning for First interview. Confused as I thought I did well and even got many "good answer" responses, Also lot of good pilot experience. The only thing I can think of is that I said I would not be interested in the flight service route. :/

So I guess my advise would be , dont say that.

Good luck..
I wouldn't think that would matter since they are "studying" right now reducing FSS numbers by 25%, and there are no FSS courses planned for a year or two (or more).

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

Well, I have the ATC test monday... wish Wolfie some luck. :) (I wounder what they'll think of me hobbling in on crutches)

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Jeez Wolfie..you're a shoe-in! Female and disabled ;)

Oh wait, that won't help in the test...save the crutches for the interview!

Hooj
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Hooj »

When it comes to SHL, last i heard Nav Can isn't renewing there contract and is going to select new recruits them selves. so the people that where denied by that stupid company should try again. also i don't think there will be a training course for VFR for a little bit due the fss situation. With the 5 selections FSS employees got i've heard that cross training is the most popular after the money. So i'm assuming there is going to be an influx of cross training this year. aka limiting new recruits

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Hooj wrote:When it comes to SHL, last i heard Nav Can isn't renewing there contract and is going to select new recruits them selves.
Ummmmm...did you read this thread? Or this one? viewtopic.php?f=68&t=45964

Nav Canada has been doing their own recruiting for 5-6 months via the link above.
Hooj wrote:also i don't think there will be a training course for VFR for a little bit due the fss situation. With the 5 selections FSS employees got i've heard that cross training is the most popular after the money. So i'm assuming there is going to be an influx of cross training this year. aka limiting new recruits
I don't think cross training will be tower only. Some who cross train, if that ever actually happens, may well go to the ACC world. Plus none of the cross training would likely start immediately. They're only at stage one of "studying" things. I'd guess 6-12 months at least before you'd actually see a reduction in hours/closures.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”