Recruiting process for ATC

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Recruiting process for ATC

Post by vince79 »

No, but at least it confirms what we though :)
---------- ADS -----------

moon unit 1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by moon unit 1 »

Just curious if anyone's received an invite to any of the November assessment dates?

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vince79 »

Not yet...

Does anyone knows how the invite is supposed to work ? I mean, if i'm in Quebec, will i be invited only to Montreal assessments ? Or should i receive an invitation for Toronto also ?

Czar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Czar »

I called today with that exact same question. The answer is you have to wait for the assessment date in your region. So if you live in Montreal (which is a separate region from Toronto) then you have to wait for an assessment date in Montreal.

I wonder if it is okay for me to use my friend's address in Toronto. Would Nav Canada frown on that?

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vince79 »

I understand that they cannot offer every assessment session to everyone... And that if they want to held assessments sessions in all regions, they have to group people by areas.

However, i might have to wait longer to have an assessment session in my region, and i might be interested in going into another region...

Well, that's bad. Let's hope they will held a session in montreal soon... but it depends on the applications they receive i guess. Let's go people of Quebec, apply NOW !

Regarding your application with a Toronto address, i'm not sure it's a good idea. You might have to continue the process into this area. And it's kind of "not fair". So as an employer, would you employ someone who's "cheating" on a detail like that ? Well... that might be so simple, but... :)

moon unit 1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by moon unit 1 »

I get the feeling I'll be waiting until january for an assessment session in vancouver.

It's strange that they have an assessment session schedulede for Winnipeg, i would have thought there'd be more people applying in the Vancouver and for that matter the Montreal area.

doworkson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by doworkson »

Here's my history;

I completed the registration/application and personality test on October 12th (going for the IFR track), and followed that up with the cognitive test on the 17th. Got an email on the the 24th inviting me to the testing session November 17th in Winnipeg.

W0XOF
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by W0XOF »

Czar wrote:I wonder if it is okay for me to use my friend's address in Toronto. Would Nav Canada frown on that?

I don't think that would be a problem at all. Before SHL, we were all hired out of regions much like today (although training was in Cornwall you were sent back to the region you were hired).

It wasn't uncommon for people to apply in another region for various reasons. Main reason was to apply in a region who needed more people at the time. Why would Nav Canada care? Depends on were you want to live for the first part of your career.

Read you 2 by 2. Too loud and too often!
moon unit 1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by moon unit 1 »

Thats encouraging news from "doworkson", thanks for posting and good luck.

vince79
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by vince79 »

doworkson: Are you from the Winnipeg area ?

doworkson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by doworkson »

Yup, live and work in Winnipeg.

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

moon unit 1 wrote:I get the feeling I'll be waiting until january for an assessment session in vancouver.

It's strange that they have an assessment session schedulede for Winnipeg, i would have thought there'd be more people applying in the Vancouver and for that matter the Montreal area.
It's probably not so much about the number of applicants, rather the number of trainees they need to fill courses in each area. From what I understand, Vancouver is fairly well staffed and only taking a few trainees a year, whereas Winnipeg is taking a whole lot more.

Czar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Czar »

Could anyone give some advise.

If someone does an interview in Toronto, does that mean they will be applying for a position only in the Toronto 'region' (ie:Ontario)?

The reason I ask is I live in Montreal but my french is just horrible. Should I still do the assessment in Montreal or try to arrange something outside of Quebec?

Any comments or opinons will be much appreciated.

Sean YOW
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Sean YOW »

I applied in Ottawa as an anglophone and was offered a spot in Toronto. I was closer to Montreal but still Ontario.

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

I got the invite for November 7th assessment in Toronto, Has anyone done the new test yet? or is this the first assessment?

Also does all the initial unpaid training all take place in Cornwall? I heard there was housing there, can anyone confirm and if so is it free to trainees.

Thanks

Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Well it still is there, but the classes aren't in Cornwall anymore. The classes are done now in regional centres, like Toronto, Montreal etc. So you have to pay tuition AND housing costs.

davidv

Post by davidv »

//

Last edited by davidv on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

Just did the assessment. All I can say is that the portion were you listen to the recordings is ridiculously hard. Also 18th century Latin words are for some reason tested, i think the only one I have even heard before was exacerbate. other then that pretty straight forward test you just never have enough time.

Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
doworkson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by doworkson »

Latin?! I think I'd have some trouble with that too! Was the rest of the assessment more of a general IQ test (verbal, math, spatial, logic, etc)?

I'll be writing on the 17th, my prep has basically been going over some IQ and mental math tests online just to pick up my speed a bit. Did you do any prep that you found was useful?

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

I tried some prep stuff but it did not really help, most of the stuff was general aptitude. Mabey figuring out a good way to short hand phone messages may be worth while, it was SUPER difficult. 5 v/m's very long very detailed with equally detailed questions. write everthing!!

The first test is not multiple choice so you cant bull crap your way through it very random stuff too so I cant really tell you whats on it although for the multiple choice scantrons I suggest immediatly guessing the last 5-10 answers because even though I thought I was fast I was only able to complete two of the scantrons in the 7 mins. That system worked well for me I think.

Good luck,

Return to “ATS Question Forum”