Recruiting process for ATC

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

moon unit 1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Recruiting process for ATC

Post by moon unit 1 »

so about the testing..

I thought I heard the "test supervisor" say that you only get marked on what you answer. Did anybody else hear that?

So guessing the last few questions might not have helped?
---------- ADS -----------

grimey
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by grimey »

moon unit 1 wrote:so about the testing..

I thought I heard the "test supervisor" say that you only get marked on what you answer. Did anybody else hear that?

So guessing the last few questions might not have helped?
Most aptitude tests will penalize you for incorrect answers, in order to discourage guessing. It's better to try 40, and get them all correct, than to try get the first 40 correct, guess at the last 10, and get 7 or 8 of the last ones wrong because you guessed. You won't get penalized for not answering, but you won't get credit for those questions either.

no sig because apparently quoting people in context is offensive to them.
Willo Three Bravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Willo Three Bravo »

Our examiners said specifically that there are no penalties for wrong answers. Accordingly everyone guessed the last several on most sections, with some people filling in the last 10 or so circles before even starting the test.

husky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by husky »

Willo Three Bravo wrote:Our examiners said specifically that there are no penalties for wrong answers. Accordingly everyone guessed the last several on most sections, with some people filling in the last 10 or so circles before even starting the test.
Why would you fill in the answers for the last few questions before the test? What if you then have time to complete the test and have to erase all those WRONG answers? Bad strategy in my opinion.

I remember hearing from SHL under the old system that there were no penalties for wrong answers as well, but this was most definately not true. Answer every question to the best of your abilities and don't take random guesses at any answer. If you can't get the answer, move on to the next question...don't guess.

Willo Three Bravo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Willo Three Bravo »

I agree it's a poor strategy. Personally I didn't guess until near the end. Also, having an extra second or two to work on one of the more difficult questions and succeed could be better odds than the 25% chance you stand when guessing.

Why would the invigilator say no penalties if there were, and hint toward guessing at the blanks? Especially considering the jist of the exams is to judge aptitude and see how well one follows instructions.

husky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by husky »

Willo Three Bravo wrote:I agree it's a poor strategy. Personally I didn't guess until near the end. Also, having an extra second or two to work on one of the more difficult questions and succeed could be better odds than the 25% chance you stand when guessing.

Why would the invigilator say no penalties if there were, and hint toward guessing at the blanks? Especially considering the jist of the exams is to judge aptitude and see how well one follows instructions.
I can't say for certain because I am not involved in the recruiting process, but taking test time you could be using to work on a correct answer to take guesses is poor planning.

Also, they could be misinformed as to how results are calculated.

It is possible too, that incorrect answers are not penalized. But, I have always believed on a time limited test, answer the ones you can first, then take the remaining time to try and determine correct answers on the ones that are more difficult.

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

Has anyone recieved a pass or fail on Apptitude Testing? It has been more than a month and it sure would be nice to know either way???????

bigfssguy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bigfssguy »

I'm speaking from a dated point of view, i did my test 7 years ago but i didn;t finish a fairly large part of the test. I would guess i didn't finish 10% of the test. My theory i would rather finish 90% of the test and get it right than rush finish 100% and get it all wrong. I was told by my interviewer that i did very very well on my test. The only section i actually finished was the boxes. Another tip was not to second guess yourself, your first instinct is usually the right one. I looked over the test for accuracy and blatantly dumb answers but i never second guessed an answer.

FSS: puting the Service back in Flight Services....
PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

I'm in the same boat as you culver10. I called last week and they said that they expect the results soon...

Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

Regarding check out rates etc.

I think it is a fairly safe statement when I say, its a good thing that not all trainees check out. There comes a point when ego gets in the way of ability, and its part of an OJI's responsibility to reckognize this situation. Ive seen first hand people training live traffic that cant do it, want to be able to, cant admit they cant, and really lose sight that at the end of the day people are in those dots relying on you to do your job efficiently, safely and confidently.

On success rates and geography. I think it would be a serious situation if one center had lower standards for check out than another. "Protection of overtime", seems like a lame excuse by an egotistical trainee that got CT'd for lack of ability. Just like we all shouldnt tolerate lower standards of a pilot or an AME, NavCanada doesnt either...the lucky thing here is that ATC is governed nation wide.
Am I making sense? I just got off a midnight overtime shift! :lol:

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

Results are in today for the Nov 7th assessment. Good luck.

Pilot: '...Tower, please call me a fuel truck.' Tower: 'Roger. You are a fuel truck.'
culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

Yeah! I passed!! :smt040

doworkson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by doworkson »

I failed, huge blow to the confidence, first test ever. Guess I have to take my lumps.

Quick question for those who passed/failed, did you guess on questions you didn't get to? I definately did.

I know I also did horribly on the recording section of the test, I fell victim to my own terrible, illegible handwriting.

I'm going to have to throw a hail mary and see if I can beg my way into an interview, I know I have a snowballs chance but I'd at least like to get the chance to plead my case!

GL everybody else and congrats culver...

buggy_boy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by buggy_boy »

Finally!!
I too got a passing mark.

And no i did not guess on any questions I didn't know.

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

I recieved a pass and I believe that I did really bad on the recording section. I also guessed on the last 5-8 questions on each section before I even started (I only had to erase a few twice).

Now I guess we have to wait for a phone call..

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

I guess since the process is so new that nobody has had an interview in the new system yet? I was just wondering what sort of interview eg. "behavior based" and what type of questions?

I guessed at some, but also made it to the end of the spatial type tests. I blew the recording test also, and if I did it again would not take notes, but try to memorize.

It is sure nice to know so I do not have to wonder anymore.

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

Anyone know when the next testing date is in YVR?

Cheers,

Wolfie

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

Well in case anyone else was reading this, it's 02/02/2009 :P

Wolfie

PartsPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PartsPilot »

If anyone who has passed the assessment session recieves a call to set up an interview, please let us know.

Thanks

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

With all of the Xmas BS, I cannot see anything happening until the new year??

Return to “ATS Question Forum”