question for ZEG ACC controllers "climb to and maintain"

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

question for ZEG ACC controllers "climb to and maintain"

Post by Woxof38 »

I work at an FSS in YEG FIR. With this recent phraseology change "climb to and maintain", I'm starting to get clearances with just "climb to". I don't feel right going back to the pilot who readsback "maintain" and I need a readback of "climb to" It was a lot easier with just "maintain". I guess I'm asking why are some of you just saying "climb to"? Why not "climb to and maintain" or just "maintain"?
---------- ADS -----------

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: question for ZEG ACC controllers "climb to and maintain"

Post by Pygmie »

There was a change in MANOPS that indicated simply saying "maintain" was causing confusion with some pilots, mostly overseas flights. Controllers must now say "cleared to", "climb to", or "descend to". Maintain can still be used in conjunction with climb and descend, but not on its own unless the aircraft is already at the altitude.

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Woxof38 »

On my last midnight a few days ago, had time to ask a zeg controller the question. He said controllers have been or will probably give the clearance both ways, "climb to" or "maintain" and they both mean the same thing. He also said if the controller gives it to you one way you should read it back the same way.

Cobber
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cobber »

My personal favourite is, "Climb to and maintain...", in an initial clearance when you are on the ground!

Return to “ATS Question Forum”