AVCANADA

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 pm

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:34 pm 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 3
I became an official employee today (hooray!) and just received my collective agreement. I know I'm ATC-0 right now, but I don't know how to interpret the rest. Once I get my license, which level of ATC will I be at? And why are there 11 columns for each level? Also, what are the OFP and ATC premium? Do we get these? Thanks in advance!


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:41 pm 
Offline
Rank 2
Rank 2

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:46 pm
Posts: 57
If you're in an IFR unit you'll become an ATC-6 upon checkout, and start at the first pay increment. Each year on the anniversery of your checkout date you'll move up one level on the scale until you max out at 11 years. In addition to your salary you'll also recieve an ATC Premium which varies from Center to Center.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:32 pm 
Offline
Rank 10
Rank 10
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 2353
You do not recieve OFP as a trainee however if that is your Q.

Depending on the specialty and center expect a heavy dose of overtime if you want to spend the time working instead of living ;)



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:50 am 
Offline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm
Posts: 671
Basically for IFR the salary base is 100k and on to that you tag overtime. To give you an idea I work an average amount of overtime, every once in a while and I made 127k last year. So you don't need to always be at work for your salary to be quite high. But at the end of the day the job is amazing! 8)


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:09 am 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm
Posts: 27
I have a question regarding this, I may not be understanding things clearly but, do terminal IFR controllers get paid the same as enroute terminal controllers at the same seniority level or is there a higher premium for one over the other?

Thank You



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:50 am 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:31 pm
Posts: 22
There is no difference in the base pay or premium for the different specialities within an ACC.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:10 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm
Posts: 27
Ok, thank you.

How do they determine which specialty is best suited for you ? Do the student have a choice, is it by how well you did in the basic course, or is it where they need you?



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:15 pm 
Offline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm
Posts: 671
ProfessionalATC wrote:
Ok, thank you.

How do they determine which specialty is best suited for you ? Do the student have a choice, is it by how well you did in the basic course, or is it where they need you?

The answer is Yes to all of those. Don't expect to choose although you can give your preference we have no obligation to follow it. Remember you are trying to get qualified at something you have never done before. The people who have seen many trainees usually are in a better situation to send you somewhere where you have the most chance. Remember it might not always be your first choice!



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:14 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm
Posts: 27
I know people will all have different opinions on this but what are the advantages and disadvantages of being a terminal IFR as opposed to an en-route IFR controller? Do the en-route controllers get a more steady flow of traffic? Is bringing the planes closer together more exciting ? Once being checked out are you able to have more than one specialty ?

Thank you



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:57 am 
Offline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm
Posts: 671
ProfessionalATC wrote:
I know people will all have different opinions on this but what are the advantages and disadvantages of being a terminal IFR as opposed to an en-route IFR controller? Do the en-route controllers get a more steady flow of traffic? Is bringing the planes closer together more exciting ? Once being checked out are you able to have more than one specialty ?

Thank you

I've only worked in Terminals but I am biased. I like turning planes, descending, reducing etc... not that they don't do it in en-route just I NEED to do with every single aircraft. I also like being accurate and the pressure that comes with sequencing during peak hours and maximizing the airspace. For traffic flows it really depends what sector you are working. Some en-route sectors are very very busy and others more quiet so it depends, not easy to answer that. You can only have on specialty at a time. As for the advantages and disadvantages I don't really know since i've only worked terminals, maybe someone can answer that question better than I.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:29 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm
Posts: 27
Thank you Braun. Very helpful.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:19 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:50 pm
Posts: 27
I know what the base salaries are for checked out IFR controllers , but I was wondering how much increment is given per year and up to how much? Also how does one become an ATC instructor, do you have to work as a controller for a specified time before you can be considered, do you have to have additional qualifications?


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:29 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:36 pm
Posts: 191
Is there anyway to access the collective agreement if your are not an employee yet? I'd love to have a look at it! Not sure when I become an "employee" so that I can get access to it on the website.


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:13 pm 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 2:48 pm
Posts: 172
Location: pointy end
Here are the increments for an IFR controller as well as any tower that is the same level (i.e. YYZ, YVR etc etc)

Year 1-95374
Year 2-99819
Year 3-104267
Year 4-108710
Year 5-113158
Year 6-117609
Year 7-122053
Year 8-126500
Year 9-130943
Year 10-135398
Year 11-139843

Plus add the following based one what level unit you are at. ( ei, YYZ tower and ACC are level 1)

ATC Premium Level

1-31,253
2-26,567
3-22,580
4-19,195

hope that helps



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:00 pm 
Offline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm
Posts: 671
ProfessionalATC wrote:
I know what the base salaries are for checked out IFR controllers , but I was wondering how much increment is given per year and up to how much? Also how does one become an ATC instructor, do you have to work as a controller for a specified time before you can be considered, do you have to have additional qualifications?

To become an instructor you need to follow a few training courses given by Nav Canada. Depending on the type of training you will be giving (Sim, floor, class) you will need specific courses to be able to participate. You don't need any particular qualifications other than having received the courses and be a fully qualified controller. There is no set time on how much time you must be qualified before becoming an instructor but expect to spend the first few years by yourself and gaining some experience before becoming an instructor. Also, usually, the training supervisor will have a say on the matter.

As for the salaries they are posted above.

rspencer38 wrote:
Is there anyway to access the collective agreement if your are not an employee yet? I'd love to have a look at it! Not sure when I become an "employee" so that I can get access to it on the website.
You will receive it when you become a union member at the end of your generic course.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:03 pm 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 am
Posts: 24
wordstwice wrote:
Here are the increments for an IFR controller as well as any tower that is the same level (i.e. YYZ, YVR etc etc)

Year 1-95374
Year 2-99819
Year 3-104267
Year 4-108710
Year 5-113158
Year 6-117609
Year 7-122053
Year 8-126500
Year 9-130943
Year 10-135398
Year 11-139843

Plus add the following based one what level unit you are at. ( ei, YYZ tower and ACC are level 1)

ATC Premium Level

1-31,253
2-26,567
3-22,580
4-19,195

hope that helps


Is there a table that indicates which level each ACC is?



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 pm 
Offline
Rank 0
Rank 0

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:16 pm
Posts: 3
wordstwice wrote:
Here are the increments for an IFR controller as well as any tower that is the same level (i.e. YYZ, YVR etc etc)

Year 1-95374
Year 2-99819
Year 3-104267
Year 4-108710
Year 5-113158
Year 6-117609
Year 7-122053
Year 8-126500
Year 9-130943
Year 10-135398
Year 11-139843

Plus add the following based one what level unit you are at. ( ei, YYZ tower and ACC are level 1)

ATC Premium Level

1-31,253
2-26,567
3-22,580
4-19,195

hope that helps


Do you have on hand what the OFP is for the ACC's



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:44 am 
Offline
Rank 3
Rank 3

Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 2:48 pm
Posts: 172
Location: pointy end
There isn't anything as simple as a table to determine the Premium level for each ACC.

But to help...

YYZ ACC is premium level 1, YVR is 2, YUL is 3, YWG is 4, etc etc.

There's actually a lot more premium levels than what I posted but those are for the smaller towers.



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:40 am 
Offline
Rank 1
Rank 1

Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:18 am
Posts: 24
wordstwice wrote:
There isn't anything as simple as a table to determine the Premium level for each ACC.

But to help...

YYZ ACC is premium level 1, YVR is 2, YUL is 3, YWG is 4, etc etc.

There's actually a lot more premium levels than what I posted but those are for the smaller towers.


Thanks for the info.

So YWG for example, first year pay would be $95374 plus $19195. Is the premium paid throughout the year or as a lump sum payment?



Top
   
 Post subject: Re: IFR Pay Scale
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:57 am 
Offline
Rank 7
Rank 7

Joined: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:32 pm
Posts: 671
Top_Gun wrote:
wordstwice wrote:
There isn't anything as simple as a table to determine the Premium level for each ACC.

But to help...

YYZ ACC is premium level 1, YVR is 2, YUL is 3, YWG is 4, etc etc.

There's actually a lot more premium levels than what I posted but those are for the smaller towers
Thanks for the info.

So YWG for example, first year pay would be $95374 plus $19195. Is the premium paid throughout the year or as a lump sum payment?


Correct and it is paid throughout the year. There are also numerous premiums and such which also add on to your final amount but since you accumulate those throughout the year it hard to predict how much it equates to.



Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited
[ GZIP: Off ]

For questions/comments please send them to
avcanada@gmail.com


AvCanada Topsites List
AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. If you feel a topic or post is inappropriate email us at avcanada@gmail.com .  By reading these forums you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable. This website is not responsible or liable in any way for any false or misleading messages or job ads placed at our site. 

Use AvCanada's information at your own risk!

We reserve the right to remove any messages that we deem unacceptable.
When you post a message, your IP is logged and may be provided to concerned parties where unethical or illegal behavior is apparent. All rights reserved.