VFR Placement Question

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

VFR Placement Question

Post by outflying8 »

I have heard multiple different answers to this question so I figured I would ask here, if you could also state your source (whether its your opinion, official company correspondence, experience, etc...)

IN THE YEG FIR
After you completed your VFR specific training and are being sent for OTJ/Your first posting, how likely are you to be sent to one of the crappy location (IMO Ft. Mac or Yellowknife are both crappy)

Also, if any of you have controlled in either of those places, does it suck pretty badly or is it not awful? how expensive was living there?

Thanks for any replies!

**EDIT** As someone pointed out I may have worded this poorly....I was not looking for a straight "where am I going?" just a "where have you seen/heard of most applicants going".....this seems to have been answered though....

What I am mainly looking for is this : Have any of you personally controlled up there, worked up there (in another field) or know someone who has? What was your/their experience?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by outflying8 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
yycatchopeful
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: VFR Placement Question

Post by yycatchopeful »

At the end of our assessment session on July 21 someone - was it yourself, even? - asked if VFR trainees could expect to be initially assigned to Fort Mac or Yellowknife. Joanne answered that Fort Mac was an unlikely destination for students for the time being due to the ongoing recovery efforts. The answer for Yellowknife wasn't as clear...

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

was it yourself, even?
yup it sure was me :) I feel that the Ft mac answer wont be relevant though as she said most likely if we are selected for VFR we wouldn't be training until November at the earliest but more than likely May 2017 at which time I dont think the disaster relief will be relevant....was hoping someone could chime in on that and the likelihood of Yellowknife...

:D I love all respectful dialogue of multiple views and opinions. If you want to chat with me directly, please do send me a PM :) :D
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

outflying8 wrote:
was it yourself, even?
yup it sure was me :) I feel that the Ft mac answer wont be relevant though as she said most likely if we are selected for VFR we wouldn't be training until November at the earliest but more than likely May 2017 at which time I dont think the disaster relief will be relevant....was hoping someone could chime in on that and the likelihood of Yellowknife...
Here comes the shitty answer....be ready to go anywhere. If that doesn't work for you don't apply VFR.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Here comes the shitty answer....be ready to go anywhere. If that doesn't work for you don't apply VFR.

while i appreciate the direct answer, I am already aware of this so its not exactly helpful, I was just wondering if someone could offer some actual advice, if not no need to answer with "anywhere" or something of that nature.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

outflying8 wrote:

while i appreciate the direct answer, I am already aware of this so its not exactly helpful, I was just wondering if someone could offer some actual advice, if not no need to answer with "anywhere" or something of that nature.
I am sorry the advice you want to hear is not what the reality is. There is absolutely no way to 100% guarantee you won't end up somewhere. Even if the instructors and managers say that it will probably be XXX place or XXX place you can end up elsewhere for so many reasons it's impossible to predict them all.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

I am sorry the advice you want to hear is not what the reality is
again you are not reading what i am saying, im not asking for advice or guarantee of where I will be posted, you are completely missing the point....as I have stated im willing to go wherever necessary I am just curious about peoples opinions or experiences on what they have seen or heard of.....also wanted peoples persepective on those postings themselves

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

outflying8 wrote:
I am sorry the advice you want to hear is not what the reality is
again you are not reading what i am saying, im not asking for advice or guarantee of where I will be posted, you are completely missing the point....as I have stated im willing to go wherever necessary I am just curious about peoples opinions or experiences on what they have seen or heard of.....also wanted peoples persepective on those postings themselves
How am I not reading what you are saying? You specifically asked what are the chances of being sent to XXX place and my answer was you never know...even if they tell you it is probably going to be XXX or YYY you can end up in ZZZ. Anyways good luck with your application.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

How am I not reading what you are saying? You specifically asked what are the chances of being sent to XXX place and my answer was you never know
Your first answer was that I should be prepared to go anywhere, which I had stated I was, you later stated that there is no way to guarantee where I was going, which I already knew and wasnt looking for....What i was looking for is just a general feeling of where trainees quite often get sent (large portion up north, small portion north, even spread etc....)

More importantly I was looking for someone that could discuss their experience or the experience that others have shared with them when they worked up there, what the posting was like etc....

Regardless thanks for the answers and the good luck wishes....hoping to get in for IFR regardless so maybe we will work together in the future :)

thatdaveguy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by thatdaveguy »

The vast majority of ab-initios in EG FIR are placed to YMM, YZF or YXY. You should fully expect YMM or YZF to be extremely likely options, despite your apparent preference to go elsewhere.

You should not continue with the application process for VFR if these are not agreeable to you. That's the only truth.

Ben-YYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ben-YYZ »

He has stated he is orepared and understands that he could go anywhere, he is asking for someone who works/has worked there or knows someone who has to tell him about it is up there at those locations. Not asking where he is going.

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Ben-YYZ wrote:He has stated he is orepared and understands that he could go anywhere, he is asking for someone who works/has worked there or knows someone who has to tell him about it is up there at those locations. Not asking where he is going.
Are you sure...?
outflying8 wrote:After you completed your VFR specific training and are being sent for OTJ/Your first posting, how likely are you to be sent to one of the crappy location (IMO Ft. Mac or Yellowknife are both crappy)
The reality is the business needs change regularly due to staff transfers to other units, retirements or long term sickness. Even during the period from the start of your Basic Course to the end of it the placements can change. It did for my course and many others before and after me.
This is a very challenging, and competitive application process. Focus on being the best to get offered a place on the training course, or else you will never need to worry about where you're going to be posted.

Ben-YYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ben-YYZ »

Reading back I see he has changed what he his asking a bit, but he still asked for people's experiences at these locations, and he stated in later replies that he is willing to go where necessary and was asking the chances of going to Fort Mac or Yellowknife regardless of how shitty he feels it would be. And I'm guessing here, but I think he would just like to know how it is living up north is smaller, more remote areas, how people are there, quality of life etc.. to better know what to expect with a posting there.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Ben-YYZ wrote:Reading back I see he has changed what he his asking a bit, but he still asked for people's experiences at these locations, and he stated in later replies that he is willing to go where necessary and was asking the chances of going to Fort Mac or Yellowknife regardless of how shitty he feels it would be. And I'm guessing here, but I think he would just like to know how it is living up north is smaller, more remote areas, how people are there, quality of life etc.. to better know what to expect with a posting there.

Hey man, that is exactly what i am looking for :) thanks, hoping someone has something to add but im getting doubtful haha :)

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

RexKrammer wrote:
Ben-YYZ wrote:He has stated he is orepared and understands that he could go anywhere, he is asking for someone who works/has worked there or knows someone who has to tell him about it is up there at those locations. Not asking where he is going.
Are you sure...?
outflying8 wrote:After you completed your VFR specific training and are being sent for OTJ/Your first posting, how likely are you to be sent to one of the crappy location (IMO Ft. Mac or Yellowknife are both crappy)
The reality is the business needs change regularly due to staff transfers to other units, retirements or long term sickness. Even during the period from the start of your Basic Course to the end of it the placements can change. It did for my course and many others before and after me.
This is a very challenging, and competitive application process. Focus on being the best to get offered a place on the training course, or else you will never need to worry about where you're going to be posted.

for sure, i completely understand that....have you been posted up there? any insight? pointers?

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

thatdaveguy wrote:The vast majority of ab-initios in EG FIR are placed to YMM, YZF or YXY. You should fully expect YMM or YZF to be extremely likely options, despite your apparent preference to go elsewhere.

You should not continue with the application process for VFR if these are not agreeable to you. That's the only truth.

Isn't YSY whitehorse? I thought they only had a FSS station there now?

and like I said (some others have re-iterated) I am fine with locating to YMM or YZF I would strongly prefer not to, but Im willing to go wherever necessary to get in....truth be told I am hoping to get selected for IFR im just trying to get a feel for the other positions as well :) from what I have been told even YYC is starting to accept ab-initio now (according to the guy that did my interview)....guess we will find out

Ben-YYZ
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ben-YYZ »

outflying8 wrote:
Ben-YYZ wrote:Reading back I see he has changed what he his asking a bit, but he still asked for people's experiences at these locations, and he stated in later replies that he is willing to go where necessary and was asking the chances of going to Fort Mac or Yellowknife regardless of how shitty he feels it would be. And I'm guessing here, but I think he would just like to know how it is living up north is smaller, more remote areas, how people are there, quality of life etc.. to better know what to expect with a posting there.

Hey man, that is exactly what i am looking for :) thanks, hoping someone has something to add but im getting doubtful haha :)
No problem, I can't give you any help with your question as I am not currently at ATC/FSS just wanted to clear things up and help people understand what you were asking, best of luck in the application process.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

Ben-YYZ wrote:
outflying8 wrote:

No problem, I can't give you any help with your question as I am not currently at ATC/FSS just wanted to clear things up and help people understand what you were asking, best of luck in the application process.
gotcha, i certainly appreciate that, it seems like there are a lot of people who don't understand the quesiton, maybe i phrased it poorly?

s1yx
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by s1yx »

outflying8 wrote:
thatdaveguy wrote:The vast majority of ab-initios in EG FIR are placed to YMM, YZF or YXY. You should fully expect YMM or YZF to be extremely likely options, despite your apparent preference to go elsewhere.

and like I said (some others have re-iterated) I am fine with locating to YMM or YZF I would strongly prefer not to, but Im willing to go wherever necessary to get in....truth be told I am hoping to get selected for IFR im just trying to get a feel for the other positions as well :) from what I have been told even YYC is starting to accept ab-initio now (according to the guy that did my interview)....guess we will find out
YSY is Sachs Harbor, YXY is Whitehorse. The current group of VFR students here in Edmonton (all ab initio) I believe are going to YEG and YYC. Previous group went YZF and YMM with internal applicants going YEG and YYC. Also I wouldn't worry about being posted to YZF, sure it's a bit remote but it's a wonderful place and you can make serious bank there with tax break and various income benefits, and the value of checking out somewhere with low traffic (relative to somewhere like YYC tower) also cannot be understated.

outflying8
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by outflying8 »

s1yx wrote:
outflying8 wrote:

YSY is Sachs Harbor, YXY is Whitehorse. The current group of VFR students here in Edmonton (all ab initio) I believe are going to YEG and YYC. Previous group went YZF and YMM with internal applicants going YEG and YYC. Also I wouldn't worry about being posted to YZF, sure it's a bit remote but it's a wonderful place and you can make serious bank there with tax break and various income benefits, and the value of checking out somewhere with low traffic (relative to somewhere like YYC tower) also cannot be understated.
Ya I meant to type YXY sorry ahaha...and ok that's what I was wondering about thanks for the info and positive reply

Return to “ATS Question Forum”