Hold Clearance

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hold Clearance

Post by Apache64_ »

Just wondering if someone here could help me out. I pretend to be ATC in the sim and I need to get the language right for a hold clearance for a dme hold. Specially with one that would require the aircraft to cross the VOR to get to the radial that they would be holding on. IE the 5 dme fix on the YYC VOR on the 170 radial, when the aircraft is coming in from the north.

Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Hold Clearance

Post by Apache64_ »

Oh in the scenario above the aircraft would be anticipating an approach after the hold. If that makes a difference.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

On th emultiple DME holds I've got, this is what they said:

"XXXX, you are cleared to the YXX 170 radial at 5, via direct, to hold between 5 and 10, descend and maintain XX Thousand, Expected Approach Time is XXXX"

5 is a wee close to the station, 10 or 15 is more common I think.

Going for the deck at corner
NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Here's a small bit of it.

454 HOLD CLEARANCES
If necessary, issue one of the following holding clearances:
A. Standard holding clearance.
Phraseology:
CLEARED TO THE (fix), HOLD (direction) ON (specified) RADIAL/COURSE/INBOUND TRACK.

B. Non-standard holding clearance.
Phraseology:
CLEARED TO THE (fix), HOLD (direction) ON (specified) RADIAL/COURSE/INBOUND TRACK, LEFT TURNS.

C. Detailed holding clearance.
Phraseology:
CLEARED TO THE (fix), HOLD ON (specified) RADIAL/COURSE/INBOUND TRACK, BETWEEN (location) AND A POINT (number) MINUTES (direction), RIGHT/LEFT TURNS.

D. DME holding clearance.
Phraseology:
CLEARED TO THE (name) TACAN/VOR/NDB (specified) RADIAL/BEARING (number) DME FIX, HOLD BETWEEN (number) AND (number) DME.

E. Published holding pattern clearance.
Phraseology:
CLEARED TO THE (fix), HOLD (direction) AS PUBLISHED.

Issue, with the holding clearance, an expect approach clearance time, expect further clearance
time, or the time to depart the fix, and revise it as necessary.
Phraseology:
EXPECT APPROACH CLEARANCE AT (time).
EXPECT FURTHER CLEARANCE AT (time).
DEPART (fix) AT (time).

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

"XXXX cleared to the Calgary VOR 170 radial, 10 dme fix, via direct the Calgary VOR direct, maintain 7,000. Hold between 10 and 20 dme. Expect approach clearance at HHMM."

That would be the clearance for the holding situation you had described.

And AuxBatOn is correct, 5 DME is typically too close to the station. There are issues with ambiguity and slant range when you are holding that close.

Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Apache64_ »

Thanks guys/girls!

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Apache64_ wrote:Specially with one that would require the aircraft to cross the VOR to get to the radial that they would be holding on.
Why go to the VOR first then go to the DME?!

Pygmie
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pygmie »

AuxBatOn wrote:
Apache64_ wrote:Specially with one that would require the aircraft to cross the VOR to get to the radial that they would be holding on.
Aircraft that don't have GPS or RNAV systems, can't go direct a radial/DME fix (unless they are on that radial already, and can just follow it in).

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Pygmie wrote:
AuxBatOn wrote:
Aircraft that don't have GPS or RNAV systems, can't go direct a radial/DME fix (unless they are on that radial already, and can just follow it in).
Really? I'm pretty sure I can do it within 0.5 DME. If I can do it, eveyone can do it

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Sounds like the CF still uses the good old "TLAR" method :lol:

Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Apache64_ »

Main reason would be the fact that the scenario I had in mind would be the aircraft is directly north of the VOR, holding south of the VOR, figured the easiest way to do that would be direct VOR to the fix. As well, the hold puts them south of the the NDB for 28 approach which would be the one that they transition to.

Cheers

Apache

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

AuxBat is referring to the lovely skilled called "Point-to-point".

All it takes is a straight finger and an HSI.

Apache64_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Apache64_ »

Okay never heard of this nifty trick. Care to enlighten me?

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Apache64_ wrote:Okay never heard of this nifty trick. Care to enlighten me?
http://www.icpschool.com/Downloads/file ... nnexAa.PDF

First section. "TACAN Point-to-Point navigation". Replace the TACAN by a VOR/DME et voila!

There is a bit of math involved (fractions), and you need to find on your HSI where 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and possibly 1/8 is.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

While a good tool for basic IF - the point to point has been replaced by modern avionics. Any decent FMS/GPS can DTO a point in space that has been defined. Even if it is a VOR/DME radial - the ability to PVOR any point allows for easy replication of this skill.

We don't even assess the students on their Advanced Flight Training for point-to-points, if we give one, we just use it to evaluate their basic IF skills. I gave my student one today and in the time he took to come up with his heading - I had already punched it into the FMS and DTO'd it.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

SAR_YQQ wrote:While a good tool for basic IF - the point to point has been replaced by modern avionics. Any decent FMS/GPS can DTO a point in space that has been defined. Even if it is a VOR/DME radial - the ability to PVOR any point allows for easy replication of this skill.

We don't even assess the students on their Advanced Flight Training for point-to-points, if we give one, we just use it to evaluate their basic IF skills. I gave my student one today and in the time he took to come up with his heading - I had already punched it into the FMS and DTO'd it.
SAR_YYQ, I totally agree, however on the basic IF, I think, other than giving someone an option as to how to get from A to B, it helps develop Situational Awareness.

As for the assesment on Advanced Flight Training, I believe it is assessed on the Jet program. But you are right, with modern equipment, it's totally useless. However in the case described in the original post, it would be more efficient to go directly to the point rather than intercept the radial then go to the fix.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

A good point here is that the basics are definitely lacking. Even with modern FMS many pilots cannot do point to point or self vector. I have heard a business jet crew unable to accept a clearance direct to a dme/radial fix as they were not on the radial. I have seen many pilots who cannot vector themselves onto final even with large moving map GPSs.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”