Nav Canada & safety concerns

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Weens
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Nav Canada & safety concerns

Post by Weens »

tesox2 wrote:
Widow wrote: Why should NavCanada be immune from the same "whistleblower" problems that permeate the industry?
There is no issue of safety cover up at NavCanada, this is ridiculous.

Move on, seriously, this pisses me off. How hard we have trained and continue to train to be accused of this, it verges on libel. I am tempted to "whistleblow" this blatent attempt at defamation to my employer, who in fact is very serious about safety.
GAG

(yes I signed up just to voice my distaste)
---------- ADS -----------

GilletteNorth
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by GilletteNorth »

There will always be people who just can't accept facts.

At NAVCANADA safety is the number one priority. It is included as the first item in every vision statement/goal/priority they make.

Even if you don't believe that, look at the statistics concerning overall safety within NAVCANADA. A steady decline over the past decade compared to the system prior under Transport Canada.

NAVCANADA embraced a non-punitive approach to safety reporting in order to increase safety through better reporting and it worked. They make the effort to identifty unsafe trends earlier so that the unsafe conditions can be addressed.

When people make mistakes that cause unsafe conditions within the company it gets reported and the priority is on getting the unsafe condition corrected. There is no need to "coverup". anything.

Having a standard that pilots lose their licence after making a mistake despite doing no harm to aircraft or passengers means soon you needn't worry about a pilot surplus or pilots offering to fly for free. Where do you get your experience from?
bigfssguy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by bigfssguy »

I've used the internal safety reporting apparatus before. It worked well and i was very happy with the results. The contact i ahd was good and the follwed up to see if i was happy with the results. Prior to my complaint nothing seemed to be happening but once i used the reporting program things kicked into gear and it was fixed within a few months (which is lightning speed under normal circumstances).

FSS: puting the Service back in Flight Services....
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

This is excellent to hear, and not really a surprise that things would be better than under TC supervision - perhaps they could learn from NavCan with respect to following up on safety concerns under the CAIRS.

Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
reality_check
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reality_check »

GilletteNorth wrote: Even if you don't believe that, look at the statistics concerning overall safety within NAVCANADA. A steady decline over the past decade compared to the system prior under Transport Canada.
It's easy to manufacture a decline in incidents when you stop reporting and/or recording those incidents.

Does it surprise anyone that NC would self-publish stats in order to support its purported increase in safety?

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

#1 Where you are coming from and what you are trying to get to
#2 What happened to make you feel this way
#3 Every time there is an incident (not necessarily a sep loss) it is reported believe it or not and if it isn't you better watch out because stuff has a tendancy to come out and trust me you will be in deep S*** if you get caught not reporting something. It has happened before yes but it is not as common as you seem to think it is, actually it is very rare and I can't think of a case of this happening where I work.

Please enlighten me before you try and defame the company I and a lot of others here work and especially label our work as unsafe.

Jerricho
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Jerricho »

reality_check
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reality_check »

I'm not trolling, nor would I expect further discussion on here from anyone other than those who beat the company drum. That's why I said to PM me.

To keep it out of the mods hands/access, email me instead at reality_check2009@live.com.

Edit: Note the change in email address, previous contained an error. RS, you'll need to re-send your email.

Last edited by reality_check on Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

Where were you CT'd from?

reality_check
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by reality_check »

reality_check wrote:I'm not trolling, nor would I expect further discussion on here from anyone other than those who beat the company drum. That's why I said to PM me.

To keep it out of the mods hands/access, email me instead at reality_check2009@live.com.

Edit: Note the change in email address, previous contained an error. RS, you'll need to re-send your email.
Updated the email address.

tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

cpl_atc wrote:Hey tesox, how about parking your small-penis-syndrome and recognize that he's talking about the system sweeping incidents, not individual controllers.

If you haven't seen it happen yourself already, just wait... He's hardly trolling, and you guys know it.
Did I touch a nerve? :lol:

tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

CPL_ATC, enlighten us with your experiences of system sweeping incidents .

Your defence of this character tells me you are the same person, hiding under psuedonym's, setting up anonymous emails, trying to get someone else to do your dirty work because you are too scared to stand up for what you think.

I got a problem with people who hide behind anonymous names posting crap about their jobs or companies without taking some accountability.

Last edited by tesox2 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

TC has slapped NC with some hefty fines for non-compliance on the AIS side of the house!

tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

cpl_atc wrote:Oh yeah, it's me alright....

I've always spoken my mind on here, regarding of the topic. I don't need a SECOND anonymous ID to do that.

:roll:
Then speak it...instead of attacking me...enlighten us.

:smt051

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

cpl_atc wrote:If I had any of this nature, I'd be doing it through the email address, and not on here. Sadly there are too many backstabbers in the building, most of whom I don't trust any further than I could throw.
You would email to an anonymous poster? How do you know that he isn't one of the people you don't trust? He has yet to give any info regarding who he is and what his agenda is.

tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

I still dont get why you chose to attack me...Im defending my company and its operations, which is my responsibility. Your's too by the way, check MANOPs.

tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

Avoid gossip or criticism reflecting on users of
air traffic services or on other ATC units or
personnel. You should, however, provide advice
and criticism through normal channels for
action. (N)

111.2 Note:
As representatives of NAV CANADA in direct
contact with the public, all personnel are expected
to exercise a high degree of tact and good
judgment.

You think you are excercising tact in your personal attacks on me? What about good judgement in your statement
tesox2 wrote:Hey tesox, how about parking your small-penis-syndrome and recognize that he's talking about the system sweeping incidents,
I would also like to direct your attention to the Company Code of Conduct which clearly defines company values, number one being respect
"The Company regards courteous and responsible behaviour as the foundation of respectful
interpersonal behaviour. Additional dimensions of respect that also apply in our workplace
include trust, fairness, equity, honesty, integrity, commitment and loyalty.
On the other hand, respect does not mean that we cannot disagree, in good faith, on matters
of principle or interpretation or perception of factual situations. It does mean that when such
situations arise, we will disagree in a tactful and diplomatic manner
."

Our responsibility in avoiding gossip and criticism of our company includes the responsibility to defend it. I strongly disagree with any implication that you or any other pseudonym makes about the unsafe handling of our operations.

sigmet77
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by sigmet77 »

Bravo.

FSS2552
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by FSS2552 »

Now that was funny. Why this "my kung fu is better than yours" kids? Grow up already, there's no need to get personal on this, plus, it's pretty off topic.

Anyway, my thoughts on the subject: I hate when you report an incident to NavCan they end up changing the wording (and the complete sense) of what really happens if it gets to TC CADORs. I know, we have to report the facts ans only the facts but when the facts are changed on the way, I think THIS should be reported as an incident! ;-)

Cheers!
FSS2552

Return to “ATS Question Forum”