If you have thought about ATC, but the no income stopped you

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

If you have thought about ATC, but the no income stopped you

Post by invertedattitude »

If the fact of 9+ months with no income has stopped you from applying for ATC, could you please just add your name to the list here in this thread?

I'm curious to get a picture of just how many people it has deterred on this forum alone (if any)

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: If you have thought about ATC, but the no income stopped you

Post by 2R »

You have got to be kidding .
Nine months with no pay ?
Does EI sponser these candidates ?or do they get student loans ?
bursuries or grants from the school ?

tesox2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tesox2 »

As a licensed controller now, looking back, I would not have been able to afford taking that risk...I think the current situation of hiring is absurd. Imagine charging our military service people for their education/training...I would imagine there to be a lot less applicants...soon it will be like the RCMP minus the tazers...although...hmmm :lol:

SkyWolfe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by SkyWolfe »

It would if I didn't live with my inlaws :P

Offset
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Offset »

I'm a licenced controller who went through under the NCTI system, but would not have been able to train under the new regional system with now pay and having to cover my own living costs for the first 6 months (VFR).

jakey
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by jakey »

It stopped me three years ago...

Edit: hell, it may stop me again. I'm going through the process, but I still don't know if I can really make it work financially if I do land a course spot. :|

Last edited by jakey on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shayne
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Shayne »

Long time lurker, first time poster...

I couldn't do it.

Everyone I talk to about it is surprised by the way the training works, although they're also surprised at the pay scales for commercial pilots. (Still not willing to pay more for a flight, but...) :?

I'll just have to stick to flying around on Sundays and days I can play hookey from work.

--Shayne

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

So basically you have buy your type (VFR tower, IFR enroute etc) rating....just like so many pilots do. Yet another example of the dimunition of terms and conditions in aviations race to the bottom. I got into commercial aviation in the 1980's, when it was still a pretty good deal. Sad to say that all the new pilots, AME's and ATC types wil never see a time when the responsibilty of the employer to provide the necessary training was pretty much a given.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Thanks for the replies guys.

All I'm going to say is that, the more people who make their voices heard to the company the better, it may seem like your one voice means nothing, but it will add up.

I was one of the first classes through at my centre no NCTI, and No pay until I hit the floor, and the first class after the cut the OJT pay from 50K/year to 30K/year (This is after 9 months of no pay in school training)

I worked 20-30 hours a week, I've heard student loans are available now (were not then) but I have not confirmed it myself.

Apollo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Apollo »

I have definitely been considering it - and realized that I can't do it because of the whole no-income thing.

WhatThe?
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WhatThe? »

After going through the whole process I turned down YEG IFR twice because I couldn't afford the:
1. self funded move to YEG
2. $3,500 for IFR
3. no pay for 9-months+++
4. the uncertainty of actually getting licenced
5. fear of spending 2+ years of my life to get trained, and have some soon to be retired old-timer tap me on the shoulder because I would be cutting into his overtime!

Change the system and I would love to reapply.

Good thread.

Thx

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

lol @ the overtime thing, if a 20+ year old employee needs to whine about this, and isn't a supervisor you need not worry. Also I would like to know where this happened and by who by PM at least.

whatup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by whatup »

Hi all, ya the lack of income is the absolute only thing that stopped me from applying. I really want to do it and just cant unless theres at least some basic salary. that is the only thing holding me back, wont even apply, no point. my 2 cents.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

Thanks for the replies.

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

invertedattitude wrote:If the fact of 9+ months with no income has stopped you from applying for ATC, could you please just add your name to the list here in this thread?

I'm curious to get a picture of just how many people it has deterred on this forum alone (if any)

Thanks!
+1

Unless it's volunteer work...I don't work for free.

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

It ain't work, it's slavery. But I didn't think I was able to do it without income. But I found a way worked during training, checked out and I am glad I did. Best job ever!

whiskey-juliet
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by whiskey-juliet »

I just dropped in on this post and am I right in believing that you will not be paid will you take ATC training? I went through the system in 1970 at ASTS in YOW and we were paid a basic wage but we had to pay for our housing and food.
I always thought those who went to TCTI in Cornwall and had beautiful accomodations and meals supplied were really spoiled.
But to think that is all history now. Of course I paid for my PPL and my IFR ticket so I guess its all the same. You pay the money but you aren't assured of a job.

CoastFloater
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CoastFloater »

After going through the whole process I turned down the IFR positions offered because of the following:

1. self funded move didn't make any sense
2. $3,500 for IFR
3. no pay for 9 to 12 months
4. the uncertainty of actually getting licenced - I had some acquaintences get canned one month prior to checkout... :roll:
5. the opportunities I would be passing up I deemed to be much better than getting on with ATC

Change the system. I am sure the quality of applications will improve drastically!

Thx

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Well if they got canned they weren't "one month" to check out. No offense but people don't just get the boot for no reason. Also I would like to remind anyone that yeah it sucks not being paid, yes it sucks paying 3500$ and possibly moving but imho University is worse. You pay much more for tuition, lasts 4x as long and at the end of the road you aren't guaranteed a job either and if you do get a job the salary is not even close to what you will make as ATC. Not counting the countless number of benefits and the awesome pension plan. That's all after you take into account how awesome of a job it is and I take great pride in being an Air Traffic Controller and that I worked hard to get there and that it wasn't always easy, but anything is possible you just need to want it.

invertedattitude
Rank 10
Rank 10

There's more to it than just needing to want it Braun, but I know what you mean.

that being said, if you spend a year at University, you can transfer that knowledge and course credits towards other things in life.

The only thing a year and a half of ATC training then getting CT'd is good for, is maybe taking orders in the McDonalds drive-thru.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”