Radar identified in uncontrolled airspace

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Xander
Rank 4
Rank 4

Radar identified in uncontrolled airspace

Post by Xander »

I came back from CYVP to CYQB last week and we called Montreal centre shortly after leaving Kuujuack Radio.

Once in cruise we were radar identified.

Since a good portion of this flight was in uncontrolled airspace, I did my position reports and I kept listening to 126,7, but was it really necessary to make position reports, since I was radar identified?

I know ATC is not responsible for aircraft separation in uncontrolled airspace, that's why I kept on doing my position reports and listening to 126,7. But what use is it to contact Montreal Centre then?

I'd like you opinion on the subject.
---------- ADS -----------

The trouble with my life is that I do not think I am cut out to sit behind a desk.
Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Radar identified in uncontrolled airspace

Post by Benwa »

If you fly VFR at 6500' and call Center for flight following, they will advise you are Radar Identified. They will, time permitting, let you know of any possible conflicts.

Same thing IFR in uncontrolled airspace.

Now if you would've departed from any other airport in Northern Quebec, (without a FSS on site) you need to contact ATC as soon as practical after take-off to activate your flight plan.

--In his wrapup remarks, the FAA chief said, "If you think the safety bar is set too high, then your
standards are set too low."
Jonathan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jonathan »

Can you get flight following in class G airspace?
From what I know , if you were getting VFR flight following Montréal Centre is not talking to all aircraft in the vicinity and is not aware of all possible conflicts (for example, aircraft with no transponder). Their traffic information is mostly based on radar observations and pilot reports.

IFRATC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by IFRATC »

Flight following VFR in any airspace does NOT EVER alleviate your responsibility to see and be seen. The Centre controller is responsible for separating IFR traffic only. Flight Following is a courtesy provided to you and traffic information will be passed based on workload and observed traffic.

IFRATC

Return to “ATS Question Forum”