FSS staffing levels

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

floatyghosthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

FSS staffing levels

Post by floatyghosthat »

Hey guys,

I've heard mixed messages from various people in the company, and I'm just curious if anyone knows what the FSS staffing level is like. I know training was somewhat suspended due to the Level of Service, and now that they're not closing any sites but people are still moving around, I suspect there's going to be a few understaffed sites, not to mention FSS being understaffed as a whole.

Am I wrong? Are there any overstaffed sites? Is anyone currently understaffed? The usual line seems to be "Everything's fine, everyone's perfectly staffed. Nothing to see here. Move along."

I'm just curious how true that is...
---------- ADS -----------

natej
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: FSS staffing levels

Post by natej »

I think it's pretty safe to say the staffing is right where they want it right now. I was FSS, failed to cross train successfully into ATC, and was let go in December. They told me there were no immediate positions available in FSS at the moment, but that might change in the future. So based on that, I would say there is no immediate demand for FSS. Things change quickly though.

W0XOF
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by W0XOF »

The last I was told, FSS was 20 short nationally. There are about 9 in basic training currently. However, there are aprx. 100 FSS who will have 30+ years in, in the next 6 months. They could possibly all go (depending on age of course).

I'd say FSS is understaffed (or will be shortly)..................

Read you 2 by 2. Too loud and too often!
porter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by porter »

W0XOF wrote:The last I was told, FSS was 20 short nationally. There are about 9 in basic training currently. However, there are aprx. 100 FSS who will have 30+ years in, in the next 6 months. They could possibly all go (depending on age of course).

I'd say FSS is understaffed (or will be shortly)..................

Get yourself a real skill and go where there are jobs to be had, the company is slowly but surely killing the fss profession.

Chaosrider
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chaosrider »

As far as I can tell, they are pretty much where they want to be but somewhat on the understaffed level.

I may get a transfer soon but I have been told there is no one available to replace me at my current site.

As far as I know they are slowly starting the trainning again with some courses in the west and I've been told one in Montreal soon.

floatyghosthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floatyghosthat »

I'm in the same situation. I've been told that I'll most likely be transferred eventually, but I'm not sure where or when. I've had my name in for ATC cross-training since the beginning of time, but they've been telling me that FSS is too shortstaffed to let anyone go for training right now. Also apparently my region is overstaffed with VFR controllers and they don't expect to need anyone for at least a couple more years.

Chaosrider
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chaosrider »

If you ask me this is a perfect example of short sighted management.

A year or so ago with the whole LOS thing, they were trying to get rid of as much FSS as possible and then they went further by encouraging overtime as much as possible and stopping the trainning completely for a long time

So the pendulum switched side now and we are at the other extreme being short staffed everywhere. Go figure

Return to “ATS Question Forum”