ATC study material

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Rodriguez Mountinous
Rank 1
Rank 1

ATC study material

Post by Rodriguez Mountinous »

Does anyone know of any study material available that would be good to go through before attending a VFR course? Looking for something specific to ATC, not just 'the ground up' or anything like that.

thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

Jonathan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: ATC study material

Post by Jonathan »

the manops

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Jonathan wrote:the manops
Studying MANOPS without understanding the significance of the material or understanding the application of the rules is a bad idea. They are subject to change constantly so without being at an ATC unit you will probably not have a current copy. You will be taught everything you need to know about MANOPS on the course. No since getting an idea embedded in your mind and then finding out you're wrong about the interpretation. It's much harder to change than it is to learn it properly the first time. If you want to learn more info that isn't in your pre-course package, try the airport and airline idents for the region you will be training in.

Good luck

Jonathan
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Jonathan »

kevenv you are right sorry, what I meant , and I should have mentionned it, is simply to have a look at its structure and see how it's constructed to have a better idea of what the manual is about.

Habs4Ever
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Habs4Ever »

Would a brief read-through of the manops be over the head of somebody with a cpl? or would I be better off reviewing IFR procedures and the AIM?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

If reading MANOPS ahead was helpful they would send you a copy with your pre course package. Know what they do send you inside out. There is absolutely no excuse for failing the exam week one/two. NONE!

Rodriguez Mountinous
Rank 1
Rank 1

Ok thanks a lot for the response. I'll just be waiting for my entrance package then!

Oak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Oak »

I agree with kevenv .. I am in the generic portion of my IFR training, and if I had been given MANOPS beforehand it would have done me no good! Study the ITA inside and out .. once you are done all the Blocks, study it some more.

Take full advantage of the classroom and your classmates once you start. My class had a few days, once the course started, before the test and we all passed the ITA - we spent almost every evening there, and many many hours on the weekend. If you are given this time, use it!! There were things I had completely forgotten about, even when doing the reviews and tests again at home, that other people in the classroom brought up during our study sessions.

Enjoy studying for the ITA and pat yourself on the back - you are past the competition phase of this process; you are one of many who applied, and one of a few to get selected. Don't F## it up by farting around and not passing the first test.

RyanJoseph
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RyanJoseph »

I will also recommend the manops...

Oak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Oak »

RyanJoseph wrote:
I will also recommend the manops...
Just curious - what reason do you have to recommend this?? I am in training now and if i had been given manops beforehand with no instructors to ask questions to or simulators to apply/see what I had studied, I would have quite a difficult time absorbing the content.

Rodriguez Mountinous
Rank 1
Rank 1

What exactly is included in the pre-course package besides ITA, medical and security check information?

Oak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Oak »

Rodriguez Mountinous wrote:What exactly is included in the pre-course package besides ITA, medical and security check information?
They send you an email with all of this information as part of your congratulatory communique .. have you received said email yet? Or are you not yet at that stage ....

The material to concern yourself with is the ITA, From The Ground Up & Workbook, and Backcheck forms. You'll receive some forms to fill out and send back too.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”