YWG Recruitment

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Fingers Crossed
Rank 0
Rank 0

YWG Recruitment

Post by Fingers Crossed »

Good Day Everybody,

Wondering if anybody on here is currently in the recruitment process in Winnipeg or surrounding area.

I'm still waiting on my second interview .....

Hopefully they call soon ...it's driving me nuts!!!!
---------- ADS -----------

YWGJets
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: YWG Recruitment

Post by YWGJets »

I'm in the same boat as you. Assessment in June and 1st interview shortly after. Green lit, just waiting now.

Fingers Crossed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Got the call for the second interview!!!!

Pretty happy right now! ...and nervous of course ....anybody have any "words of wisdom" for me, on how to turn a second interview into a trainning offer????

floatyghosthat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by floatyghosthat »

Be honest, be confident and be relaxed. They're trying to see how you handle pressure and how you'd work with others.

The skill can be tested during training. This is where they test your personality.

What are you going for?

Fingers Crossed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks ... and I believe I'm in the IFR pool ...but that's yet to be confirmed. I believe that topic should arise during the interview. (and if it doesn't it will definetly be a question I ask of course)

Banked
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Banked »

Fingers Crossed wrote:Thanks ... and I believe I'm in the IFR pool ...but that's yet to be confirmed. I believe that topic should arise during the interview. (and if it doesn't it will definetly be a question I ask of course)
You will not be placed in a pool until (if) you pass your second interview. It will tell you which one once the little 2nd interview light turns green.

They will ask your preference, and what you think would be your best fit in the interview. That does not mean you will necessarily be placed in that pool. It also depends on your testing scores, what they need, and what they see you being successful at.

Fingers Crossed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks guys!! (or gals :? ) You've been more than helpfull ....ill let ya know how it goes.

Fingers Crossed
Rank 0
Rank 0

Got my green light for second interview!!! Yeah :smt040

Placed in VFR pool and I believe the course doesn't start till next September so the waiting game now comes back into play. (patience isn't my best trait)

Couple question if anybody has a minute ......

1) I don't know very much about salary difference between YWG IFR and VFR ....so if anybody can shed some light on it for me it would be greatly appreciated.

2) I've been to the ACC obviously cause that is where my second interview was ...though the facility was very nice, any comments on the YWG tower? (ie:is there a gym, cafeteria, staff lounge)

Thanks Again....Fingers Crossed for that training offer call!!!!!!!

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Fingers Crossed wrote:Got my green light for second interview!!! Yeah :smt040

Placed in VFR pool and I believe the course doesn't start till next September so the waiting game now comes back into play. (patience isn't my best trait)

Couple question if anybody has a minute ......

1) I don't know very much about salary difference between YWG IFR and VFR ....so if anybody can shed some light on it for me it would be greatly appreciated.

2) I've been to the ACC obviously cause that is where my second interview was ...though the facility was very nice, any comments on the YWG tower? (ie:is there a gym, cafeteria, staff lounge)

Thanks Again....Fingers Crossed for that training offer call!!!!!!!
Ballpark figures for a newly qualified controller:

Grade 1 tower including Facility premium - around 64000
ACC - anywhere from around 95000 and up, again this includes Facility premium.

You could end up in any tower within the Winnipeg FIR not just Winnipeg.

Fingers Crossed
Rank 0
Rank 0

How many tower grades are there and what grade of tower is YWG?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

Fingers Crossed wrote:How many tower grades are there
Fingers Crossed wrote:and what grade of tower is YWG?
I have no idea

TheJudge
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheJudge »

I can provide some 2nd/3rd hand information that I am in no way prepared to defend, Fingers Crossed. If anyone knows otherwise feel free to correct me.

YWG tower, if memory serves, is a Grade 4 (or 5?). The pay scale for VFR controllers is partly based on the grade of tower they work at, so higher grades generally means more money. The grade is determined by the complexity of the airport. Part of their pay also comes from the amount of movements the airport handles. So a busy complex airport pays the most (logically), while an airport that handles less traffic and has simpler airspace/equipment pays less.

I have heard the same thing as what Kenenv was saying: you may not get stationed in YWG out of training. It could be anywhere in the YWG FIR. This includes towers like Saskatoon, Regina, and Thunder Bay. My understanding is the decision on where to send you is a combination of their needs, your wants, and what they think you'd be successful at.

After you've put your time in, you can start bidding to move to YWG if you want. However, there is no guarantee you'd get to move there anytime soon.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”