YYC Tower

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

AvoidingAction
Rank 0
Rank 0

YYC Tower

Post by AvoidingAction »

Quick question really...

Based in the UK so not sure how it works across Canada but are most of the regional airports dual rated i.e. tower and approach radar rated ATCOs? In particular Calgary and Edmonton? I'm tower only rated working at an airport within the London TMA. It seems the only way to transfer to NavCanada would be the ab-initio route. Whilst I'd be confident doing this tower only, if I had to do approach radar then I would prefer to get an APS rating in the UK first.

Any info would be great, thanks
---------- ADS -----------

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: YYC Tower

Post by lilfssister »

All terminal (approach) units in Canada are located in the Area control centres, not towers.

AvoidingAction
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AvoidingAction »

Thanks for the reply, good to hear as a Tower only ATCO.

Second question - anyone know what the state on recruitment is like at the moment within NavCanada? Specifically in Alberta, and anyone know of any foreigners going through the training system recently?

Thanks

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

Not sure about any foreign controllers undergoing training, but if you apply as an ab-initio, you can be posted anywhere in Canada. Applying in Edmonton region you can expect to go north to Fort McMurray, Yellowknife or Whitehorse.

AvoidingAction
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AvoidingAction »

So do they routinely post newly rated trainees to the quiet and remote airfields first? With a view to transferring to bigger units after a few years experience?

Am I right in thinking then that if you apply as a Tower controller for Alberta then you will definitely be posted in Alberta. If it was a posting to the East coast it'd be easier to just stay in the UK

lilfssister
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by lilfssister »

Hiring/training/job postings are within each FIR. If you apply in Edmonton, as stated above you could go to any of those towers or others within the Edmonton FIR, depending on where they need staff.

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by NJ »

It's not solely because the towers are slow and remote, it's because they tend to need staff because other controllers move along after a few years to other towers. If you are posted there, you are not required to move on to a busier place, but some people tend to do it. As well in Edmonton FIR, Yellowknife and Whitehorse aren't in Alberta, but still in the FIR.

I loved my time up north, but after 3 years I moved down south.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”