NavCanada testing

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Pierce20
Rank 0
Rank 0

NavCanada testing

Post by Pierce20 »

Hey guys. I am just wondering if anyone knows what type of questions are on the NavCanada tests, particularly math if that's on there so to better prepared. Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

wingandaprayer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: NavCanada testing

Post by wingandaprayer »

If you're referring to the aptitude test, there is definitely math on it. It may have changed slightly in the eight years since I took it, but they'll be generally looking for the same things; Mental math and guestimation, listening skills, spatial reasoning, reading comprehension, and a personality test. When I took it, it was split into different timed sections. All except for the reading comprehension were multiple choice.
The first one was the mental math. We were given 50 math questions, with four possible answers each, to do in 10 minutes. Usually you can discard two of the options easily enough and just have to deal with two.

Section two was spatial reasoning. We were given I believe three or five different diagrams of unfolded cubes with questions for each one. Each of the questions was a series of four folded cubes and we had to determine which one belonged to the corresponding diagram. You basically had to be able to fold up the cube mentally in order to get the answer.

Section three was listening comprehension. An audio recording of a voice saying a sequence of letters and numbers for each question. We had to pick the corresponding sequence out of four options, and the sequences got longer and more complicated as it went along.

Section four was reading comprehension. We were given a piece of text to read and were asked questions about it's contents. Straightforward enough.

Section five was the personality test. Answer it honestly. There are checks and balances built into it, so they can tell if you're trying to bullshit.

Hope this helps. Cheers and good luck!
W&P

Pierce20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pierce20 »

Thanks Wing, definitely helps. So the math is pretty basic/straightforward, no algebra?

Do you know what the pass mark is?

Thanks again.

BOOMER_12
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BOOMER_12 »

Hi Pierce 20, what Wing describes is the old test format back when SHL was doing the recruting process. Since NavCan brought it back in house, I believe in 2009, the test has changed a lot.

I suggest you scroll in the past discussions to find all sort of usefull cues for the exam.

Here are a few quick advice :
1) The w-Sim is the only part of the exam that you can prepare. Prepare and re-prepare as often as possible. There is no reason why you should not nail that section.
2) The test is long, you'll need to be very sharp that day. Get plenty of rest. You'll need all the stamina you can.
3) The audio test isby far the hardest section. It is negative correction. They don't expect you to answer a lot of questions. The one you do answer, make sure they are right.
4) review a bit of math, geography, general knowledge and IQ tests. They will all come in handy at one point during the test.

Have fun!!

Boomer

Pierce20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pierce20 »

Thanks Boomer, appreciate it.

Sorry to keep harping on the math section guys, but is it pretty much addition/multiplication etc, or are there word problems?

Parth
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Parth »

The math isn't complicated. Basic algebra is all you need. It is more about logic and problem solving than it is testing you math skills.

Pierce20
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pierce20 »

Ok cool man, thanks.

peice
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by peice »

Thanks for the info guys. I didnt pass the aptitude test last year so i am looking for material to study. Hopefully i can get it the second time!

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Boomer_12
Reading through numerous bits of advice on here I noticed your tips, one of which being to review geography.
Is there a need in the tests to know Canadian airport codes/locations? Or cities other than the major ones?
I've just been invited for the testing session in October, and trying to get a heads-up for anything I might be quizzed on during the day's tests.

Thanks for any advice you (or anyone) can give.

TA/RA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TA/RA »

From what I remember, there is no requirement to know specific airport codes. The geography is more large scale general knowledge like continents and what countries are were. There are only a few questions on that. Like Boomer said, if you have done the W-SIM prep and it makes sense to you then there is no reason not to nail that section. I found the most challenging sections to be the Audio recordings and the last 2 sections on obscure english vocab and the meaning and matching of words to like words.

Do not stress too much on the audio section. It is the only section where you are docked marks for wrong answers so do not guess. If I remember correctly, there are about 30 questions after the audio recordings and you only have about 10 mins to complete them. I only completed 7 of the 30 questions and I managed to get through the process. So don't beat yourself up if you don't get far on that one. Just make sure that you are accurate with your answers. Quality vs. Quantity.

With the spatial reasoning questions and the ones where you are asked to interpret a story board and put the drawings in the correct order or find the element that is missing in a drawing, my advice would be to go with your gut and don't over think it. Your first instinctual answer is probably the most correct one. If you are unsure then move on and answer the questions that you do know.

Most importantly have fun with the testing. It is long and very draining but I'd just go into it with the attitude that you are going to have fun with it. Remember it is an aptitude test so you either have the aptitude or you don't hence why you cant really study for it. Don't beat yourself up either way. Having been through the whole process and being in training now I can definitely see that there is method behind the madness.

If you are successful then good for you! You are one step further in a very long and demanding process. If you aren't then take it as a fantastic life experience and either reapply or take what you have learned and apply it to your future endeavours don't be too hard on yourself, it isn't a grad 3 spelling bee it is a test that is designed to test every facet of how your think and prioritize and in my opinion looks for people who are well rounded in a variety of subject matters.

I would say that you would need to have a basic understanding of math, physics, applied science, geography, general knowledge including world history and literature and a moderate to advanced understanding of english to be successful.

Good luck and Have fun!

TA/RA

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Thanks for the reply. Some useful and very helpful information there!

JonYTS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JonYTS »

I did a test in Ottawa September 2003, with the English, Math, Diagramming, Spatial Reasoning and the Audio test, followed by the Personality test. It started at 1:00 pm and I was the last one to finish at around 6:30. We had a 15 minute break after the 2nd test. I got interested in ATC/FSS April of 2003 and had no idea what I was up against. I retried the new "At home" test, where they give you 50 questions to answer in 8 minutes online and didn't succeed with that. In the interim, I've found some books and a smartphone app for Aptitude testing, with very similar material done on these aptitude tests. I've also done practice tests with the local college here in town and trying to learn on my own where my strengths and weaknesses are. I hope this tidbit helps too. :)

RexKrammer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by RexKrammer »

Certainly! I appreciate any tidbit of information. Thank you.

JonYTS
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by JonYTS »

This may be really old, but I did a new "in-home" aptitude test. It's 8 minutes with a ton of questions, 50 if I remember. All answers were multiple choice of 5 answers. The material is basic open math book styled word problems.

TheSteamingPile
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TheSteamingPile »

JonYTS wrote:This may be really old, but I did a new "in-home" aptitude test. It's 8 minutes with a ton of questions, 50 if I remember. All answers were multiple choice of 5 answers. The material is basic open math book styled word problems.
Is this the online aptitude test? I believe OP was asking about the in person assessment.

jzt26
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jzt26 »

I practiced the w-sim twice and did 3-4 IQ tests online (similar questions for some sections)

Other than that, you either got it or you don't (geography knowledge, very good vocabulary, general knowledge, etc.)

I agree that the audio part is the hardest one. If I recall correctly, I answered about 6-7 questions out of the 25+. Don't answer if you're not 100%.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”