YEG fall session?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

YEG fall session?

Post by nfpeanut »

I hear talk that there is a session for YEG starting April 22 (not sure IFR/VFR)...does anyone know when the next session will be in this region? I have my final in person interview in a few weeks, and hopefully they may be able to tell me when the next one will be, but I was just curious if anyone heard anything. I'm not sure if they will be able to tell me anything, other than that they will schedule when they have need.
---------- ADS -----------

FlyHigh-
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YEG fall session?

Post by FlyHigh- »

I had my in-person interview back in January and they told me that there is a VFR course starting in March and then another one in September, so my guess is the April one is for IFR. Are you going for VFR or IFR? They told me up front about the upcoming VFR training courses since that is what I'm going for, so I'm sure they will tell you if you ask. Good luck!

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

FlyHigh- When did you attend your assessment session to have gotten your interview in January? (Just Curious). I haven't fully decided on IFR or VFR yet. I think I'd like VFR because you can actually see stuff rather than being in a windowless room...but I'm so afraid of getting posted in Fort McMurray...I lived there before and really do not want to go back up there. IFR appeals to me though because I would for sure be in Edmonton and that would be great. I'm hoping to get some more information at the interview and that will help me decide. I've heard also that you may not necessarily get accepted for what you want. I have been told by other people that they were put in IFR stream but got a VFR offer.

FlyHigh-
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyHigh- »

I had my assessment session back in October. Yup, I totally know what you mean. I love the idea of looking outside the window and seeing it all happen. They told me the 4 main towers they send trainees to are Fort McMurray, Yellowknife, Whitehorse, and Villeneuve so there's probably a pretty good chance Fort McMurray might come up. But I guess the way to look at it is that it's only for a couple years and then you can bid to move on to some where else. I'm sure the time will fly by anyways! Yes, I've heard that you don't necessarily get what you want as well. My dashboard says based on my results I've been placed in the VFR pool, but if they were to call me with an IFR offer I would take it. Sounds like they try to offer you what your preference is though, and one of the VFR instructors was part of my interview so fingers crossed! Keep in touch though, it's nice know where other people are at and how they're doing!

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

Awesome!! Thanks for the info. I too had my session back in early October. I had an interview scheduled for February but they had to reschedule for early March due to a training course they had to attend. I'm going to be armed with a million questions I'm sure (probably far more than they would like). If things go good for me with the interview maybe I will PM you and we can compare notes or something. It would be nice to have someone in the exact same boat I'm in to discuss things with.

FlyHigh-
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyHigh- »

That's awesome! We were probably in the same session. At the end of the interview I asked a bunch of questions too, so I think they expect it and they're very open with information (at least that's what I found anyways). Definitely let me know how it goes and good luck :)

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

I'm on standby for the april 22nd course and it is IFR.

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

Congrats evilgravy!! Best of luck to you and here's hoping for an actual seat for you instead of just a standby. I guess from the bit of information in this posting thread we can assume then that there is a VFR course for both March and this coming fall, and then there will be the one IFR course? I'm not sure if they will be doing another IFR course this year as well, but that is something I will ask in my in-person interview. My phone interviewer told me there are two (sometimes three) sessions per year at YEG so am going to assume the two VFR and the one IFR will be it until next year. He may have meant 2 per VFR/IFR though so who knows, there may be another...another question for the list.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

Now full seat IFR... just waiting for my medical! whoo!

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

Wow!! Congrats evilgravy!!! That's fantastic news!! Best of luck to you. I just had my interview and ACC tour a few days ago. I'm hoping I'm in for the September session.

Fstjhnny
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Fstjhnny »

That must be a huge relief! Congrats Evilgravy, good luck on the course.

evilgravy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by evilgravy »

it is a bit of a relief yeah... it will be a bigger relief when I get my medical and then know it's actually happening!

working my way through the ITA disc now... pretty cool stuff :shock:

Acey91
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Acey91 »

I'm still standby, it'll drive me wild if I don't get a seat. Just a massive inconvenience, more than anything else.

FlyHigh-
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyHigh- »

Congrats evilgravy!! Very exciting news :)

How did your interview go nfpeanut? Was it what you were expecting? Have you heard back yet?

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

FlyHigh- I have not heard back as of yet. It went good I feel. I walked away from the meeting feeling REALLY good about it all and VERY positive and excited, but now the more time goes by the more I second guess everything I said. I guess it's just natural when you have too much time to think about it. I'm sure he told me as well that I should know inside of two weeks and if there is nothing by that time maybe to shoot him an email. I emailed him yesterday just to inquire about the fact that the login page for the NavCan site has a message stating technical difficulties, and would that affect the updating of the results to his knowledge. But then he told me it would 3-4 weeks probably before I knew after the interview. I'm hoping you got your results by now? FIngers crossed for a green light for you. And how long before you knew the results?

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Boy I hope I get as much good news as a number of the folks on this board!

I was originally going to write the ATC testing in YEG in the fall but I moved to St. John's, NL and will be writing it in gander in 2 weeks! Hopefully things go smoothly.

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

rspencer38 - best of luck to you!! I would love to be in the Gander region for training, you're very lucky. I have been living in Alberta for 18 years and am originally from NL. We were actually planning to move back east this year, bought the house and everything. That may still happen but I'm waiting to see if I green light on my in person interview or not. Training in Gander is apparently much farther apart that training in Edmonton so I applied while living here and therefore am in this pool right now.

rspencer38
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by rspencer38 »

Thanks! I really hope this works out. I've got a pretty good career now but it's not my calling. I would love to go VFR at YYT!

FlyHigh-
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyHigh- »

nfpeanut - Awesome! Have you decided if you want to go VFR or IFR yet? I guess ultimately they make the decision for you, but I know you said you were unsure. Yes, I definitely know what you mean, the waiting can be nerve-wracking. I got the green light exactly 2 weeks from my interview, so now I'm just waiting and hoping for a call for training! Did you have one of the instructors in your interview as well? I wish the tour was a bit longer and we got to spend a little more time in the ACC, but I understand they're trying to keep the disruptions in there at a minimum.

rspencer38 - Good luck on the testing! VFR in YYT would be amazing!

culver10
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by culver10 »

Just remember, 2/3-3/4 of you folks will not make it to the end! :(

Return to “ATS Question Forum”