FSS clearance

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

FSS clearance

Post by lostaviator »

What is the reason that some FSS's when providing an IFR clearance will give you "cleared Toronto via flight plan route, maintain FL180, blah blah blah" then other FSS's stations will always clear you to "cleared Toronto VIA J###, YQT, J###, YMS, YMS2 arrival," etc even though the whole route they rambled off that we are trying to write down as fast as possible in case there is a difference is in fact our FPR?
---------- ADS -----------

kev994
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: FSS clearance

Post by kev994 »

lostaviator wrote:What is the reason that some FSS's when providing an IFR clearance will give you "cleared Toronto via flight plan route, maintain FL180, blah blah blah" then other FSS's stations will always clear you to "cleared Toronto VIA J###, YQT, J###, YMS, YMS2 arrival," etc even though the whole route they rambled off that we are trying to write down as fast as possible in case there is a difference is in fact our FPR?
Instead of scribbling the clearance as he reads it, have a copy of your flight plan in your hand and check off the vor/airway/waypoint as he reads them (or X out). Technique only.

spaner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by spaner »

Yea, life sucks... :smt040

So, grow stronger, become better.
If it is continuity that you are looking for, file direct; I always do.
Then you know, that it is the routing readback to come. Know the intersections in the region, not only Via the LO/HI, but the departure/arrivals as well...for every airport :roll:

In ON, (Direct MANS Direct.... :lol: ) it used to be FLINE, then TONNY, then SEDOG, sometimes VETCO,
Now, .... depends on the guys in the back office (217)

Just a day in the life, love it or leave it :lol:

NB, you could just file Via the prefered routes, AKA the guys in the back office know that you are requesting "quadriplegic status", and they will grant that routing Via the North Pole...

FPR...Sid 6, 4512, if that's what you want... :rolleyes:

Make no mistake, these guys are drinking "near-beer" and are looking for laughs... :mrgreen:

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

The question wasn't meant to serve as a complaint or imply I want to be lazy. I was just wondering as it seems to depend on which airport you are at. One FSS airport will always say via fpr (unless there is a change) while another fss station will always read the whole clearance. Sure You could just not write it down and reback off your fp, but they could very well be giving you the whole thing because there is a change. Is this a station policy, an acc policy from the guys running the airspace above etc?

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

lostaviator wrote:The question wasn't meant to serve as a complaint or imply I want to be lazy. I was just wondering as it seems to depend on which airport you are at. One FSS airport will always say via fpr (unless there is a change) while another fss station will always read the whole clearance. Sure You could just not write it down and reback off your fp, but they could very well be giving you the whole thing because there is a change. Is this a station policy, an acc policy from the guys running the airspace above etc?
I'm not sure what they are required to use if you are using a PTC (pre taxi clx) that some users are participants of, otherwise the FSS is supposed to relay the clx they receive from the ACC verbatim.

atwork
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atwork »

The FSS just relays the clearance they get from the ACC

I refuse to go bungee jumping... I came into this world because of a broken rubber, I'm not leaving because of one
AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

I have wondered this too, as I usually file the route I expect (from experience) to get, hoping to get a simple "FPR" as the readback. Having done the PTC a few times (ok... more than a few), this is definitely the way to go: so much better than madly copying down the clx as we backtrack!

On a related note: if the FSS gives us a FPR clearance, do they have a copy of our flight planned route in front of them? If some ATC don't give FPR clx while others do in the same area, is it to do with FSS's ability to confirm your route with you?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Just keep reading back the route that you want till ATC agrees. It has taken like 20 read backs at times but they break eventually.

wingandaprayer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by wingandaprayer »

It's not up to the FSS. They shall give to you exactly what the controller gave to them, how they gave it to them. If the controller says FPR, they say FPR. If the controller reads out the entire route, they read out the entire route. And no, the FSS does not necessarily have your flight plan in front of them, or even have access to it, so if you are given the full routing, we cannot accept "as filed" as a readback because we don't know what you filed.
Hope this helps
W&P

"this is how you smile to someone you don't like too much; this is how you smile to someone you don't like at all; this is how you smile to someone you like completely; this is how you set a table for tea." ~ Jamaica Kincaid, "Girl"

Return to “ATS Question Forum”