Class D Airspace

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

garth
Rank 0
Rank 0

Class D Airspace

Post by garth »

Just looking for clarification on entering Canadiab Class D airspace. Prior to entering is it necessary to recieve a response to your call from ATC or is it sufficient that the pilot has made a call and may still be waiting for a response before entering? I think my instructor had told me the latter but the way the regulation is worded it does say to establish "two way" communication.

Thx
---------- ADS -----------

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Class D Airspace

Post by Oxi »

You need to make contact with the controlling agency, most likely a terminal control unit. Ex. ABC is west of the zone 4000' for airport... They may say standby and you can still continue, may also say roger etc. Keep a two way listening watch and your eyes open. Some Terminal units also like to give traffic aswell as specific transponder requirements. RAC section of the AIM helps

NJ
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Class D Airspace

Post by NJ »

Yep, what oxi said. What I was taught when working in a class D zone tower (with no surrounding terminal) was that if GABC calls and you say "GABC, stand by" that you can expect them to come into the zone. If you want them to stay out of the zone, you have to specifically say "GABC, remain outside of the control zone." As the rules state, a VFR aircraft may enter class D airspace after establishing two-way communication with the tower (TCU if it's a Class D zone). What you instructor said sounds like one-way communication only.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”