CPDLC in Domestic Airspace

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jag202
Rank 0
Rank 0

CPDLC in Domestic Airspace

Post by jag202 »

I had a question regarding the implication of cpdlc in domestic airspace. How many aircraft currently use it, and how is it used operationally, per say, a transatlantic flight from Toronto to London. Once in high level airspace in toronto, would the controller instruct you to connect via CPDLC? Once connected, you wouldn't have to talk to a controller via voice again until Shannon, as long as you remain in Canadian/oceanic airspace, correct?
---------- ADS -----------

hydro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: CPDLC in Domestic Airspace

Post by hydro »

In Domestic airspace the pilots will still check in via Voice.

Speaking about my airspace that is not immediately adjacent to polar/oceanic areas: It seems about half of aircraft going oceanic/polar are logged in during the domestic portion. It gets used rarely for altitudes, occasionally for directs,, and often for frequency changes.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: CPDLC in Domestic Airspace

Post by ahramin »

Airlines are doing a very poor job of educating their pilots on this. Most pilots equate CPDLC with oceanic procedures because that's where it was implemented first. I teach a course on FANS and it's rare for crews to understand when they should log on, even if they've already been using the system in oceanic airspace.

I recommend having your HI charts out, looking for CPDLC status for any FIR you're entering, and notifying that FIR before entering, domestic or oceanic. There is absolutely no reason not to do so and at the very least it protects you from missing a frequency change and pulling a Northwest.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”